The Hunger Games Review by Suzanne Collins | Teen Ink

The Hunger Games Review by Suzanne Collins

By MonicaCruz GOLD, Wilmington, Delaware
MonicaCruz GOLD, Wilmington, Delaware

The Hunger Games Review

One of the most interesting stories I’ve read written by Suzanne Collins, The Hunger Games.  The story is about possible things that could possibly happen in our government later in the future. It talks about a rebellious teenage girl named Katniss Everdeen. She and many other people are living under a cruel dictatorship in Panem.  Panem’s society is divided among two groups: the wealthy and the poor. There’s 12 Districts, District one being the richest and District 12 being the poorest. Unfortunately, Katniss is living in District 12. But that does not stop her from doing what she wants, due to the fact that she is not a rule follower.
Every year a male and a female, between the ages of 12 through 18, from all 12 Districts are chosen to go to the Arena. Certainly they are obligated to appear in a live TV show called The Hunger Games. The Arena is a place where you either kill or get killed. Whoever is chosen has the privilege to have sponsors, that is, people can send them utensils that a tribute might need.  Inside the Arena there’s a cornucopia full of treasure to the tributes eyes. Weapons.
It’s the 74th Hunger Games and it’s time to choose the tributes from District 12. Like always, “Ladies first!” said Effie Trinket.  Katniss panicked as she heard her sister’s name bust out of Effie’s mouth. “I volunteer, I volunteer as tribute” Katniss shouted.  Deep inside she clearly knew that Prim wasn’t going to survive. She, being the head of the family, took her place.  Moments later Peeta’s name was announced to the audience.  The tributes were chosen and the future awaiting for them was unknown.
  While in the arena Katniss and Peeta make people think that they are in love. Throughout the story it shows how Katniss’s feelings for Peeta are enlarging emotionally.  “I realize only one person will be damaged beyond repair if Peeta dies. Me.” Katniss said. She wants Peeta to survive and she’s willing to die for him. At the end, Peeta and Katniss are still alive; but only one can be a victor.