Brave New World by Aldous Huxley | Teen Ink

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

December 22, 2014
By Hanban12 ELITE, Lake Worth, Florida
Hanban12 ELITE, Lake Worth, Florida
133 articles 7 photos 631 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put foundations under them."
Henry David Thoreau

"I fell in love the way you fall asleep; slowly, and then all at once."
John Green


            Feeling lonely? Sad? Angry? Shhh. We can’t have that. Remember, when the individual feels, the community reels. Now lay down. Close your eyes. Listen to these whispers in the dark. Wipe away those tears. Why don’t you take a gram or two of soma? A gram is always better than a damn. One cubic centimeter cures ten gloomy sentiments. Everybody’s happy nowadays. When the individual feels, the community reels. Never put off till tomorrow the fun you can have today. Progress is lovely, isn’t it? Everybody’s happy nowadays. One cubic centimeter cures ten gloomy sentiments. When the individual feels, the community reels…
            Welcome to Aldous Huxley’s Brave New World: London, England, 2540 A.F. Feel free to take a look around. This is the Neo-Pavlovian Conditioning Room. Every child begins conditioning as soon as they take their very first, oxygen-rich breath. What is “conditioning,” you ask? Ah, well, you may be familiar with the concept of hypnopaedia. No? It is the process in which we insert ideas into one’s mind during sleeping hours. We hire high-caste members to write out our rhymes and propaganda messages. (They are a very intelligent group, our writers). We repeat those certain phrases a specific amount of times per day while one slumbers, until he/she subconsciously memorizes, and therefore lives by, the words. Here’s a Stereo, take a listen: “Everybody’s happy nowadays… Everyone belongs to everyone else…I’m glad I’m an Alpha. Alpha’s are grand. Oh no, I don’t want to play with Gammas. Gammas wear green. Green is such a beastly color. Everybody’s happy nowadays…”  Innovative, if I do say so myself. Stabilizes stability, in a sense.
            Ah, here, the Decanting Room. Notice the high-caste workers, conveyor belts, and several floors of machinery. Yes, here, in this very factory, our people are made. Mothers and fathers are a forbidden concept. Ha! The notion of parents. A very humorous matter. Now walk with me. Keep up, I haven't got all day. See those tubes? Those are where our fetuses develop and are then transferred to other factories. Our workers, typically Alphas and Betas, inject the tubes with various nutrients as they are passed along. Why? So that different castes are created, of course! Sprinkle in a dash of alcohol, and an Epsilon is made. (Epsilons are moronic little creatures, though I suppose they still keep the system moving). Suppress the container's level of oxygen just a bit during development, and voila! A Delta is produced. Increase the availability of oxygen and vitamins, and congratulations, you've generated a healthy, functional Alpha Plus. Do you understand? Genius, is it not? 
            Oh, dear. You look fairly pale. Here, take a seat. Close your eyes. Why don’t you take a gram or two of soma? One cubic centimeter cures ten gloomy sentiments, you know...


The author's comments:

Wanted to put a twist on "reviews."