The Selection by Kiera Cass | Teen Ink

The Selection by Kiera Cass

May 6, 2015
By --Em-- GOLD, Grand Rapids, Michigan
--Em-- GOLD, Grand Rapids, Michigan
15 articles 0 photos 32 comments

America Singer lives in Illéa, where society is divided by caste numbers which define who you are. Being a Five, her family struggles with money, but they are not destitute. Others, such as America’s forbidden boyfriend, Aspen, are not so fortunate as to always have food on the table. The one chance in this broken community for a commoner to have a taste of noble life is through the Selection. During this time, the prince chooses his bride from a lottery of 35 beautiful girls who are brought to his home.
America never wanted a chance to be queen. She didn’t want to be shipped off to the glistening halls of the palace to vie for Prince Maxon’s affections. But when her prideful boyfriend lets her go, making them both miserable, America is glad to use the Selection as a distraction from the fresh pain of her broken relationship. After her first night there, when a tearful and homesick America berates the prince, the two become hesitant friends. But Maxon soon makes it clear that he wants more. Will America allow Maxon into her heart, or will she ultimately choose her first love, who has come into her life once again?
This book is hilarious at times and heartbreaking at others. It makes you swoon and sigh and hold your breath. America’s spunk, raging tempers and bubbling laughs make you love her immediately. This book is a masterpiece, skillfully crafted by an author who puts herself in a young girl’s shoes as they transform from worn flats into jeweled heels.