Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom | Teen Ink

Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom

By Gabrielaxmi BRONZE, Stratford, Connecticut
Gabrielaxmi BRONZE, Stratford, Connecticut

There is an inevitable conclusion to everyone’s lives: death. For some, it may be peaceful but for others it may be painful. For Morrie Schwartz, his ending was bittersweet; both serene and conclusive. Being diagnosed with Motor Neuron Disease (MND) he understood that his passing would not be comforting, yet somehow, he found gratitude within his last moments. Throughout the book Morrie’s brutal honesty and sincerest advice kindles warmth in the reader’s soul.  
      When Mitch Albom, the author and narrator, of Tuesdays with Morrie suddenly learns about his favorite professor’s terminal illness he immediately decides to return home and say his goodbyes. Yet, after remembering his promise with Morrie to still keep in touch after college, Albom realizes his pledge was not fulfilled. Guilt begins to rot in his heart. Then the moment he looks Morrie in the eyes again he knows that after all of his years of hard work trying to acquire an exceptional income and job he still has not experienced life. He has become a walking shell of a person only desiring a wealthy financial status, not a wealthy life. With this, Albom decides to continue in coming back to Morrie every week, coincidentally on Tuesdays, the same day the young student and wise professor met while in college. During his meetings, Morrie presents Albom with his last lesson on life. Covering as many topics as possible, including; regrets, forgiveness, family, money, emotions, fear of aging, and of course death.
M. Scott Peck, M.D., acclaimed author of The Road Less Traveled and Denial of the Soul, explains that the book is “beautifully written” and provides “great clarity and wisdom that lovingly captures the simplicity beyond life’s complexities.”
In addition, Bernie S. Siegel, M.D., author of Love, Medicine, and Miracles shares that he “laughed, cried and ordered five [more] copies for [his] children.” because this book is “an incredible treasure.”
While taking in all of Morrie’s guidance, an incredible appreciation for everything around me developed. I couldn’t have picked a better book to read before my senior year of high school. So much pressure is accumulating since it is time to decide what colleges to apply to, what profession to take on, and where to go after the final classes are taken. The stress is endless, yet it is nothing compared to Morrie’s situation. His character brightens up Albom’s life as well as everybody else’s when they visit him. Morrie’s positive mindset during his tear-jerking deterioration is astonishing. In school, I am surrounded by people who are in a worse mental condition than Morrie is during his last days. They are students complaining about everything: the morning traffic, bitter coffee, and “glacial” morning temperatures, yet there are none expressing their enthusiasm for having a brand new day to look forward to and being able to continue forming a future for themselves. Morrie rarely complains about being sick because he understands that what has happened to him is only a part of life’s journey. Fortunately, this book teaches readers to how to change their mindset when they become lost.
Morrie’s most essential lesson from all of the weeks involves love. He describes how   “Love is how you stay alive, even after you are gone.” (133) Fabricated relationships are one of the worst things humanity is involved in. That is why Morrie’s candid perspective needs to be accommodated by more. He sees that people try to find happiness within these formulated relations.
Morrie’s lessons should be taught to everyone, people should learn the real values of life. That is why Tuesdays with Morrie is my number one recommended book to read, no matter what age. Morrie’s vibrant energy provides the finest example of how one should go about life.
In essence, as a true professor Morrie never stops teaching. His charismatic aura illuminates from the pages. But if you still don’t want to read the book, there is one more thing Morrie should teach you, “Once you learn how to die, you learn how to live.” (82) We all know we are going to die, we just don’t believe it. So do yourself a favor and join Morrie and Albom on Tuesday with a nice cup of tea, or coffee if you prefer, and “learn how to die,”