Cut-- by Patricia Mccormick | Teen Ink

Cut-- by Patricia Mccormick

December 19, 2015
By Musiciseverything BRONZE, East Brunswick, New Jersey
Musiciseverything BRONZE, East Brunswick, New Jersey
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Don't wish for it more than you work for it.


This book can teach the reader so many important lessons in life, and it is filled with morals and meaningful themes. It makes the reader feel so many emotions as well as empathize with the charcters. In the book, the main character, Callie Mcpherson cuts herself as a way of coping with stress and sadness. She is also quiet and refuses to speak to anyone. The setting in the story takes place in a residential treatment center called Sea Pines, in which she calls it "Sick Minds", it makes sense to why she calls it that, doesn't it? She is forced into this treatment center after the nurse discovered her scars on her wrists.

Throughout the story, Callie meets girls with similar distorted mindsets and with different personal issues. Some of the other girls are anorexic, obese, bulimic, etc. As the story proceeds, she becomes aware of what she's doing to herself... and she figures that she must change her ways of coping. She discovers that she does want to get better. There are many ways Callie showed character evolution and development throughout the story.

I personally loved this book because it really bought the topic of self-harm to attention... and it displayed how a person affected by it struggles emotionally from past experiences. Cutting is a common problem today, as well as it being misunderstable. Reading about someone who struggles with this issue can help people gain better understanding about mental illnesses and makes the readers more understanding towards these people that do struggle with self-harm. This book teaches the reader that with support and help including self-help, it is possible to recover and become hopeful again. It also shows how cutting is never the solution to dealing with intense feelings. I recommend this book to everyone, esspecially to the girls that are currently struggling from a mental disorder, as this book will teach them alot of morals and lessons that will hopefully be helpful to them.


The author's comments:

I loved this book, and the reason I took the time to write this review is because I believe anyone that reads it will be able to get something useful out of it.


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 0 comments.