Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz | Teen Ink

Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz

January 20, 2016
By SpeakerOfTheDead PLATINUM, Lemont, Illinois
SpeakerOfTheDead PLATINUM, Lemont, Illinois
27 articles 31 photos 20 comments

Favorite Quote:
“How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live.”
― Henry David Thoreau


In true Dean Koontz fashion, he spins the thriller genre on its head. Koontz adds a blend of paranormal mystery to the traditional thriller style.
Normally thrillers all have the same feel to them. They are written in an episodic fashion where you can pick up any book in the series and read it mostly understanding everything.  But Koontz does a lot differently.
Odd Thomas is a man who can see ghosts. In the town of Pico Mundo, Odd helps the chief of police solve murders. But when a man name Fungus Bob Robertson enters his life, Odd is convinced that the town is in danger of mass destruction.
Koontz writes the novel in a way of making the reader forget that they are reading fiction. It reads almost like a memoir. Characters are introduced where the reader feels like they intimately knows them and cares about them.
Like most thrillers, a person going in to this novel would not expect it to be a deep story. Thrillers are generally mindless fun. But this brought tears from the sadness that read like poetry.