The Fault in Our Stars | Teen Ink

The Fault in Our Stars

By Coronado6 BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado
Coronado6 BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado

Your deeds are your monuments.

What makes your favorite book so fantastic? The characters, theme, setting? My favorite book, The Fault In Our Stars, has a lot of amazing attributes to it but some of my favorite that it has a great main character, it's not a normal love story, and it has a good theme.

Hazel Grace Lancaster is the main character in The Fault In Our Stars. She is probably my favorite character I have ever read about in a book, but what makes her my favorite you may ask? Well, that my friend is what I am about to tell you. For starter, she has a really bold personality. My favorite bold thing she did was speaking to Augustus fear of oblivion. “And if the inevitability of human oblivion worries you I encourage you to ignore it. God knows that’s what everyone else does.” I would never be able to do that. I hate speaking in front of people. Now, we can’t forget the fact that she doesn’t expect much from life. “But, in fact, depression is not a side effect of cancer. Depression is a side effect of dying. (Cancer is also a side effect of dying. Almost everything is, really)”. If you expected a lot from life would you be thinking about how almost everything is a side effect of dying? I think not. Hmmmm, maybe she needs to find somebody to love (cough, cough, Augustus, cough cough).

Pretty much everyone knows the normal love story. Love at first sight, get together, blah blah blah, everyone lives happily ever after. Well that's not what happens in The Fault In Our Stars. Love at first sight, not happening. Well, not in the way you're thinking of. Unless of course you were thinking of them meeting at a support group full of people who may or may not end up dying. “I was quite sure I’d never seen him before.” Now, not to spoil anything, but they definitely don’t have a happy ending. “It could be tonight,” I don’t know if you caught on but if you didn’t what happens is that… you get to read the book or watch the movie to find out!

Now the last attribute I am going to talk about is The Fault In Our Stars theme. Now everyone takes themes differently. But my interpret of the themes were that you should never give up and to live life to the fullest. Let's start with never giving up.“ I lit up like a christmas tree…” Even after he or she (not going to give it away) found out that they lit up like a Christmas tree with cancer they kept on fighting. Now going on to living life to the fullest theme. “Trip’s on’ she said finally ‘Dr. Maria called us last night and made a convincing case that you need to live your-” I mean it may just be that it practically said it in the book or the fact that after a cancer attack she still went to Amsterdam.

Now my friend, you shall do as I tell you and either watch the movie or read the book The Fault In Our Stars. I mean why wouldn’t you? It’s amazing and I would recommend it to anyone, anywhere. Either way that’s what makes my favorite book amazing.

The Fault in Our Stars is Ashley's all-time favorite book. Thanks to her obsession, she includes it in as many pieces of writing, art and discussion as she possibly can.