Walls by L. M. Elliot | Teen Ink

Walls by L. M. Elliot

By ccbean BRONZE, Portland, Oregon
ccbean BRONZE, Portland, Oregon

"I said I could and I would. And I did."
-Nellie Bly

Walls by L.M. Elliot

Walls is an historical fiction book that transports you directly to 1960’s Cold War Berlin. L.M. Elliot writes the book from 15-year-old Drew’s first-person perspective. Drew’s life as an American army brat is brimming with details all readers can relate to: School dances, sports, and outings with friends. But all the while, he relays just how dangerous life in West Berlin can be. One wrong conversation with a stranger could mark Drew and his family as targets of the Stasi (the German Democratic Republic’s state security service). A questionable relationship with someone from East Berlin could leave army officials questioning Drew’s dad’s loyalty to his country, especially a relationship like the one Drew has with his cousin Mattias who lives across the border. As the two boys grow closer, they learn to listen to each other's opposing political views, allowing them to view the world around them through different lenses. But will that be enough to convince Mattias to leave East Berlin, and the country he’s sworn loyalty to?

This book touches on extremely complex themes and historical events, but L.M. Elliot ingeniously uses the relationship between Drew and Mattias to relay this information to readers in a digestible and humanizing way. Additionally, she teaches the readers just how important it is to open your heart and mind to other people’s opinions and perspectives. After all, you never know what friendships you could create, and what you could learn if you are willing to listen.