ARC Review: Teen Talk by Maria Proulx | Teen Ink

ARC Review: Teen Talk by Maria Proulx

October 17, 2021
By WesleyHarkov PLATINUM, Saint Paul, Minnesota
WesleyHarkov PLATINUM, Saint Paul, Minnesota
21 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are." - W. Somerset Maugham


Thorough and balanced, Maria Proulx’s Teen Talk dives into the many challenges of adolescent life in a guide designed for both parents and teens. The book breaks down a comprehensive list of topics affecting teens, from standardized testing to political activism to the death of a loved one, in a short, easily digestible format, managing to pack in enough detail to give substantive advice on each topic while covering a lot of ground. Though there is no shortage of advice for teenagers out there, Teen Talk takes a refreshingly modern approach, especially on issues of technology and sexuality, and provides relevant and realistic steps for both teens and adults. The author’s openness about her own life and the personal examples she connects lend a pleasant authenticity, helping her to approach each issue from a place of empathy and understanding. With this unique approach and impressive breadth of subject matter, Teen Talk is a good place to start the conversation for teens feeling overwhelmed with changes and new responsibilities and adults struggling to connect with and support them.