Notes from Ghost Town by Kate Ellison | Teen Ink

Notes from Ghost Town by Kate Ellison

By WriterWannaBe PLATINUM, Somers Point, New Jersey
WriterWannaBe PLATINUM, Somers Point, New Jersey

The Butterfly Clue’s Kate Ellison is back with a haunting new novel, Notes from Ghost Town. Olivia Tithe thinks she’s going crazy. Her best friend and first love Lucas Stern keeps popping up out of the blue. It wouldn’t bother her except for the fact that Stern’s dead. He was killed almost a year ago, and Olivia’s mother is being held responsible for the murder. With only days until the final trial, Olivia has to find the truth behind Stern’s murder using the clues he leaves her. But that’s not all; Olivia is stuck in the Grey Space. Her colorless world is turning upside down. She can’t tell anyone about it for fear that they would label her crazy, like mother like daughter. In one year, Olivia has lost her love of painting, her best friend, and her mom. Can Olivia keep it together or will insanity get the best of her?
Kate Ellison has taken elements from all genres and weaved them into a well written, quick read that will keep her audience turning pages. The only downfall is the lack of character development from some of the major supporting characters. It seemed that Ellison was so focused on the mystery aspect of the novel, that she neglected key relationships in the story. However, she makes up for this with an original, one of a kind plot idea. Ellison’s unique combination of mystery, romance, and paranormal will constantly keep readers questioning what’s real, what’s not, and what’s next.
With the addition of mental illness in the story line, Notes from Ghost Town might get labeled as dark and depressing when in fact Ellison has done an excellent job at balancing the dismal material with the lightheartedness found in a typical “teenage girl” novel. Readers who aren’t familiar with the subject matter will feel comfortable as they discover the little bits of humor that Ellison has sprinkled throughout the book.
Notes from Ghost Town will captivate you with its intriguing mystery and enthrall you with Olivia and her quest for the truth and her mental fortitude.

Lollypop BRONZE, Park City, Utah
This book looks like a good read. Perfect for a teen girl