Spellcaster by Claudia Gray | Teen Ink

Spellcaster by Claudia Gray

February 20, 2013
By Run2Liv3 PLATINUM, Bedford, New York
Run2Liv3 PLATINUM, Bedford, New York
30 articles 0 photos 13 comments

Favorite Quote:
Change the way you look at things, and the things you look at change.


From the first page to the last, author Claudia Gray caught my attention with her beautifully written novel, Spellcaster. Full of enriching details, cliff-hangers that will have you up reading all night long, and amazing characters with and amazing amount of chemistry, Gray will pull you in to her story without a doubt.
The novel begins with the Caldani family driving cross country for numerous hours from the city of Chicago to a dark, peculiar final destination of Captive’s Sound. Main character Nadia, her little brother Cole and her father have decided to start their lives anew after her mother completely uprooted the family by leaving them unexpectedly. What really upsets Nadia is that she and her mother had not fully completed her training as a witch. Unfortunately, her mother was the only one that could have taught her all of the spells that she needed to know, since every man was blind to magic. So, Nadia finds herself with a clean slate and no clue what to do. Obvious answer: nearly die in a car accident. Within the first chapter, Claudia Gray manages to give a full description of the melancholy feelings of the family and also put them through a terrifying experience with the notorious sink holes of Captive’s Sound upon their arrival on the island. However, a silver-lining can always be found in every dark situation. Mateo, an extremely handsome and mysterious life resident at Captive’s Sound happens to be standing near the place of the accident just as it happens. Thankfully, he is able to save the Caldani family and earns their loyalty and trust. As the novel progresses, Mateo and Nadia develop a relationship like no other-stronger than anybody has ever seen. This relationship, along with the one with a very close friend, can help take down an evil sorceress who has sworn herself to the One Beneath: Elizabeth Pike. But will they be able to do it? Will the three of them find the courage to stand alone against evil? Or will they have to watch as the lives of the entire town are threatened? Read this amazing novel by Claudia Gray to find out.