Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell | Teen Ink

Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell MAG

By kyranaomi GOLD, Littleton, Colorado
kyranaomi GOLD, Littleton, Colorado

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all." -Oscar Wilde

I believe there are three types of books: those that are read and liked but never thought about again, those that are remembered and loved – perhaps even read again. Finally, there are books that change people's lives. Eleanor & Park is one of those.

Up-and-coming author Rainbow Rowell creates a work of art worthy of tears and laughter. This love story of two misfits sounds clichéd at first – the new girl finding refuge with the “weird Asian kid” who rides her bus – but this tale is far from a cliché.

As the book progresses, darker aspects of their lives are revealed, making them painfully real. Eleanor's inadequate home life affects her behavior, resulting in Park's insecurity about her feelings for him. Park struggles to fit in with his family and meet his father's expectations. Both battle to keep their innocence and, more importantly, each other.

When I read Eleanor & Park the first time, I was blown away by the realistic characters created in just 175 pages. Rowell gave them each a personality I found completely realistic; by the end, I almost believed they existed. Eleanor's snarky, sarcastic sense of humor made me laugh, and Park's sweet, romantic ways had me falling for him.

Rowell's writing style seems similar to John Green; both have a quirky style, use irony, and have a distinctive voice to convey their characters (and both writers break your heart with their plot twists).

Rainbow Rowell spins a love story laced with tragedy, humor, and the rebellious voices of two love-struck teenagers. I would recommend Eleanor & Park to anyone, especially readers who crave a love story with an edge.

atleasticansaythatitried BRONZE, Gorham, Maine

"If you never saw the stars, candles were enough." - The Dream Thieves, Maggie Stiefvater

"Broken does not mean unfixable." - Winter, Marissa Meyer

This book was incredibly good, and I love how you wrote your review :)

runandgo BRONZE, Havertown, Pennsylvania

sometimes you get run down. sometimes life throws dirt in your eyes and it stings and you can't see for a few minutes. even after you get it out your eyes are all red and your vision is s***ty... but eventually, whether through tears or maybe just time... you start to see even clearer than before. life is not always good. which is why music exists. why i believe God exists. and why there's always a pint of coconut milk ice cream in my freezer.

I didn't like this book as much as her other stuff but I could still appreciate the prose! Did you read Fangirl or Carry On? What did you think if so? I usually find that people are pretty divided and either like E&P or Fangirl.

Jtatsu PLATINUM, East Brunswick, New Jersey
Personally, I didn't like this book so much, but that's probably because I'm not one for romance stories... However, you did make a clear and precise, well written review, and if I had not read it already, I would certainly be persuaded to do so now. Very nice job!

Kylier876 BRONZE, 1960 Aeronca Ct., Idaho

“My heart always timidly hides itself behind my mind. I set out to bring down stars from the sky, then, for fear of ridicule, I stop and pick little flowers of eloquence.”
― Edmond Rostand, Cyrano de Bergerac

Eleanor is so funny :) I love how she's not your typical "i feel bad for myself all the time and I won't do anything about it" type of character. And Park.....I have no words....<3 him.

author_musical PLATINUM, Torrington, Wyoming

Sweetie, if you're going to be two faced, at least make one of them pretty. - Marilyn Monroe

I adored this book and loved it so much. I love how it was a bit of a throwback (walkmans instead of iPods or mp3s) and how amazingly different the two are. Park is kind of my future husband, I could totally see myself marrying someone like him :)

SadieJo said...
I. Love. This. Book. Pretty sure I fell in love with Park a few times while I was reading it. And Eleanor just broke my heart.