Crazy Rich Asians | Teen Ink

Crazy Rich Asians

By MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey
MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey

Crazy Rich Asians is a drama that manages to help revolutionize the movie industry and give people all across the world more diversity in films than they typically receive, since all of the major roles in the movie are played by Asian actors and actresses. The movie revolves around Rachel Chu and her boyfriend Nick. Rachel is an economics professor at New York University and is in a relationship with a mysterious Nick, and the duo has been dating for roughly a year. When Nick gets invited to his best friend's wedding and gets asked to be the best man, he decides that he should invite his girlfriend, and because they are going to Singapore, which happens to be the same place he grew up and where his family is located, he decides that it is finally the right time for Rachel to meet his family. Even though Rachel has never heard about Nick's family, she just assumes that they are poor and that Nick has to bring back money for them, so he hasn't brought them up in the past, simply because it is a poor subject. However, after riding first class to Singapore, she soon discovers that Nick's family is actually quite wealthy. When Rachel first arrives in Singapore, she decides to pay a visit to her old college roommate, and while there, Rachel tells her about Nick. Her best friend soon realizes that this isn't just any person, but, instead, this is Nick Young, who happens to belong to one of the richest families in all of Singapore and Asia. Not only is he incredibly wealthy, but Rachel soon learns that he is like a prince and that he is one of the most eligible bachelors in the entire world. Although Rachel is a little skeptical at first, when she first meets the family at Nick's grandmother's house, everything that Rachel was told is made a reality and then some. Rachel Chu soon finds herself as a fish out-of-water as she deals with being the only asian-american there, being made fun of by everyone else, being treated like she is a piece of trash, and having to deal with not being accepted by one of the most important people in the world to Nick: his mother. 
 Crazy Rich Asians is a triumphant success that manages to live up to expectations. The beginning of the movie starts things off brilliantly, and audiences are immediately introduced to the shear power and extent of the Young family. The middle of the movie marvelously progresses things along, and the enticing ending is able to be everything that viewers could have hoped for, and this end brings everything to a close spectacularly. However, parts of the movie are slightly predictable, but the plot does do a good job of sprinkling in certain thrilling twists and turns throughout that help to make the movie turn into an enjoyable roller coaster that combines characters' great highs with some truly brutal lows to beloved characters that are sure to heartbreak at least a few. 

Crazy Rich Asians showcases an awesomely talented cast that is able to show viewers a wide variety of different people. There are bullies, heroes, despicable people, beloved ones, relatable people, nerds, geeks, losers, rich people, poor people, and just about every single type of personality that there is out there. This only helps the movie's cause and allows the movie to become a fairy tale for a more diverse crowd of people than the crowds that are typically inspired by traditional ones. 

Even though Crazy Rich Asians is technically a romance movie, it doesn't really feel like one. Instead, it feels more like a movie about people trying to finding their place in their world and what really defines them, which happens to be something that just about every single person on the planet has to deal with at least one time in their life. There are a few moments that are romantic, but majority of the movie doesn't feel like a movie about two people falling in love with one another, which some might initially assume. 

Crazy Rich Asians is able to create emotionally rich scenes that take advantage of the enormous amount of drama and suspense that the movie builds up with ease. This creates a level of intensity throughout the movie that compliments incredibly well with the light-hearted tone that parts of the movie have, which creates a tone that makes watchers get deeply invested in the film without experiencing an overly-dark adventure. 

Crazy Rich Asians has some perfectly-timed quotes that are sure to become even more famous in the years to come, and Rachel's best friend is most likely going to become an iconic character in the future. She is witty and makes intelligent jokes that add an outstanding element of humor to the film, as well as give another perspective to what is occurring in the movie, because she often commentates on what her best friend, Rachel, is going through. 

Not only does Crazy Rich Asians sit well with fans, but it also was a tremendous success with critics. Rotten Tomatoes gave the movie an impressive 92%, and IMDb gave the movie a 7.2/10, which doesn't look good at first, but because they are known to give generally lower scores, that is actually a pretty solid one. A whopping 93% of Google users liked the movie, and this is most likely because they liked the movie's sassy, fun nature. 

Crazy Rich Asians is able to elucidate applicable themes in an entertaining manner that is sure to please just about anyone and everyone. Scores of people are able to relate to the movie, and because of that, the movie succeeds with its main goal, which is that even the most common of folks can find pure happiness with the most unexpected of people. 

Crazy Rich Asians is a movie that is definitely worth watching and will absolutely not disappoint. The movie truly is crazy rich in highlights. 

"Let me get this straight. You both went to the same school. Yet someone came back with a degree that's useful, and the other one came back as Asian Ellen." - Wye Mun Goh