Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist | Teen Ink

Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist MAG

April 27, 2009
By Veronica Samuel BRONZE, Rockwall, Texas
Veronica Samuel BRONZE, Rockwall, Texas
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

A decade ago “When Harry Met Sally,” a wonderful romantic comedy, came out about two friends who realized they were in love after knowing each other for 10 years. The chemistry was adorable; they seemed to have so much connection, making the audience just say “come on, already!”

“Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist” is a new romantic comedy about two 18-year-olds who kiss before they even meet and fall in love in one night. Oh, how times have changed!

But “Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist” still has all the qualities of a classic love story like “When Harry Met Sally.” Based on the book by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan, the movie begins with a depressed Nick who just broke up with his girlfriend. Played by the ­always subtly adorable and hysterical Michael Cera, Nick pulls on your heartstrings when he acts like an empty shell as he sees his ex dancing with ­another guy. Norah (Kat Dennings) sees Nick performing on stage and in an act of desperation kisses him to annoy her arch enemy, Tris, who happens to be Nick’s ex. What a turning point, right?

Nick, Norah, and their entertaining friends then embark on a wonderful scavenger hunt in New York to find their favorite band, Where’s Fluffy? When they lose Norah’s drunk, hysterical best friend, Caroline, the gang gets sidetracked. Throughout the night the chemistry between Nick and Norah goes up and down but keeps the audience rooting for more.

“Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist” embodies the music and freedom of youth. The awesome soundtrack, which ­includes Band of Horses, We Are Scientists, the Dead 60s, and Vampire Weekend, accompanies the movie perfectly. This movie is a nice snapshot of the youth of our generation: music obsessed and enjoying the ­company of friends.