Central Intelligence Review | Teen Ink

Central Intelligence Review

December 18, 2018
By tempovoyager BRONZE, Nashotah, Wisconsin
tempovoyager BRONZE, Nashotah, Wisconsin
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The duo of Kevin Hart and Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson never seem to disappoint.  This holds true in their 2016 movie “Central Intelligence.” The movie begins in a scene from their high school days.  It starts with Kevin hart, better know in the movie as Calvin “the golden jet” Joyner, giving a speech to his graduating class.  Calvin was voted most likely to succeed and also was a 3 sport athlete, president of the drama club, and captain of student council.  During the middle of his speech a younger and fatter version of The Rock, or his characters name “Bobbie Weirdicht,” is thrown out naked into the middle of the gym during Calvin’s speech.  The golden jet takes off his lettermans jacket and hands it to Bob to cover up his Junk. This scene is hilarious because it is basically like the two switch roles in a sense. You would expect The Rock to be the cool and athletic one and Kevin hart to be the lame bullied one.  


The movie then fast forwards 20 years where Calvin is working an accounting job and is contacted by Robbie via Facebook.  The two have had zero connection sense that incident. They decide to go to a bar where the once fat “Robbie Weirdicht” is now transformed into The Rock.  Calvin can barely recognize the man. The two switch back places immediately and Robbie is now obviously the bigger and cooler one. Robbie is wearing a unicorn T-shirt and a fanny pack.  This is very funny seeing the rock wearing this absurd outfit. Fast forwarding a little bit Calvin finds out Robbie is in the CIA and is wanted by the CIA for murder and treason. Robbie needs Calvins accounting skills to clear his name.  They need to find a man named “Black Badger” who is selling satellite encryption codes. The CIA think that Robbie is the Black Badger. They then begin their hunt for this Black Badger.


This movies pairs humor with action adding in The Rock and Kevin Hart.  During multiple action scenes the two always crack jokes. In Calvins office in the early parts of the movie Calvin is sitting in his office.  He is just warned by the CIA that Robbie is a murderer. He is yelling and screaming about how much he hates Robbie and then Robbie appears behind his door and says “you good jet.”  Small bits of humor like this make the film constantly funny. The movie setting takes place in an accounting office that Calvin works at and transfers to his house. Calvin, a lame accountant disappointed with his life meets up Robbie and the two characters go together perfectly.  Each character fills the other’s desire in their lives. Bob just wants his name cleared and to have a friend. Calvin wants action in his life and wants to be successful like his graduating class had predicted. Calvin joins the CIA in the end of the movie and Bob gets all he wanted and more.  Bob gets his first real friend, and a new partner in the CIA. Rawson Marshall Thurber directs this movie perfectly. Adding the perfect amount of humor and then pairing that with action makes it a masterpiece. In one scene the two are attempting to steal a plane. Calvin has the job of distracting the hanger guard while Robbie is pulling the plane out of the hanger.  As Calvin is distracting him Robbie stops pulling and starts making inappropriate gesture towards Calvin. Another character added is Aaron Paul, playing the role of the real “Black Badger”, is perfect as he plays the part very well.


Robbie Weirdicht is probably one of the best characters ever created.  His transformation, hilarious humor, and love for some of the oddest things you would never expect a man like him to love make pure comedy.  Whether they were stealing a plane, running away from bad guys, or getting shot at he would always throw in a hilarious piece of humor mid action scene that made you laugh.  For example, during a gunfight in Calvin’s office the CIA has the duo pinned down in a hallway. Robbie whispers in Calvins ear “I have a plan but it might get us killed, cool?”  Calvin then responds “no totally not cool.” The rock then proceeds to follow up with a “cool” and the two jump out of the office building. Calvin Joyner constantly uses this humor as he does not agree with Bob’s plans and attempts to escape the whole situation.  Eventually he gives in and that is when it starts to become even more funny.


This movie is terrific.   It is a type of movie that you can watch over and over again and never get bored of.  During the movie Calvin and his wife agree to see a therapist for their marriage. Calvin had run away from Bob in this scene because he was scared he was actually a murderer.  Calvin enters the office to find Bob acting as the doctor. Bob then holds Calvin like a baby pretending to be Calvin and Calvin pretending to be his wife. Bob then opens the closet door where he has the Doctor taped up on the wall.  He then gives him a “nut shot.” Constant humor like this from the two actors and excitement of the whole plot keeps bringing the viewer back for more of this awesome duo. I would not characterize this movie as specifically comedy. It is more of a comedy/action movie.  There is always one of the two elements going on at some part of the movie. You would have to be in a grinch like mindset to not enjoy this movie.


The author's comments:

A movie review about Central Intelligence