finding forrester | Teen Ink

finding forrester

By yomp BRONZE, Yaktown, Florida
yomp BRONZE, Yaktown, Florida

Finding Forrester was made in 2000 by producer sean connery who also plays William Forester in the movie. Rated PG-13 it is a movie about overcoming. Overcoming fear and doubts and others ideas about yourself. The main character of the movie Jamal Wallace (Rob Brown) does all these things miraculously.   

Taking place in the bronx,  New York around a lowly basketball court jamal is dared to break into an apartment that is believed to house a murderer. Jamal accidently leaves his backpack. He gets the bag back with correction on his writing and returns for more help from the mysterious man who turns out to be the famous writer William Forrester. William having spent years in secrecy hiding in his house away from the outside world  is wary of Jamal at first but opens up his house and his knowledge to the boy. Jamal is a very talented basketball player and writer and when a private school offers to pay for him to come play basketball at there school his whole world turns upside down.

This creates a very good story of people with not much in common but a love for writing. In Finding Forrester Jamal is faced with multiple problems including basketball, his family, friends and a mean old writing teacher. Through it all Jamal keeps his head up and not only learns but teaches along the way. With a headliner cast of Sean Connery, Rob Brown, Busta Rhymes and Michael Pitt the movie has no trouble being convincing and have an overall professional atmosphere while maintaining an air of humor and subtle sarcasm.

The camera shots were really good and in intense moments it really made you feel anxious and worried as if you were there.  Some scenes were a little cheesy or seemed like filler to take up time but it seemed pretty well thought out. Some scenes took to long to play out and made you feel like you were waiting for something that never came. There was a weird  relationship aspect added in to the already unbearable weight Jamal had to deal with throughout the whole story. Some parts could've been cut entirely but were added in as depth and honestly made the movie a little more shallow.

All in all I think the movie was pretty good. It was interesting and entertaining and although it had its lacking moments it kept me focused the entire time. Rob Brown did a great job playing jamal and had the best performance of the movie blending street culture with sean connery's  old timeyness. I would probably watch this movie again and for people who like uplifting movies this is a good one to watch and id recommend to anyone who grew up in the early 2000s.

im sick yo