Fast and Furious 6 | Teen Ink

Fast and Furious 6

By MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey
MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey

Fast and Furious 6 is the sixth movie in the Fast and Furious franchise and continues the adventures of Dominic Toretto, Brian O'Connor, and their group. Taking place directly after the fifth movie in the series, Dom and Brian's crew are now very rich people living the good life. However, all of them don't feel like they are at home, since they are all living in foreign areas. When Hobbs finds Dom in Spain, he informs him that he has been tracking down a ruthless group of criminals that are led by a mastermind known as Shaw and that he needs Dom's help. Because Hobbs has been incapable of taking down Shaw by himself, he informs Dom that if he helps, he can get his own reward. Although Dom isn't convinced at first, when he learns that he knows someone who is Shaw's second-in-command, he knows that he has to gather the group together and help the government. Even though the entire group is scattered across the globe, everybody receives a phone call from Dom, and almost everyone decides to come out and help out with the mission. Because the objective is so difficult, Brian is able to convince Hobbs that they will do it as long as they all receive full pardons, which would allow them to finally return to where they think they belong. However, the crew is just used to going against powerful men, common criminals, and cartels, and they have no idea what they're going up against in one of the most dangerous men alive in Shaw. 

Fast and Furious 6 knows how to keep the adrenaline pumping in an adventurous tale that is sure to please. The beginning of the movie does a brilliant job of jumpstarting the movie and smoothly transitions things from the fifth movie into this one. The middle of the movie does a marvelous job of progressing things along and is able to present new, exciting obstacles to the main characters. The enticing ending of the movie proves to be exhilarating and truly is one of the main highlights of the movie, since it just is able to accomplish so much and take advantage of all of the suspense, intensity, and drama that gets conjured up. The movie also has a bunch of thrilling twists and turns throughout the entirety of the film that help in making the movie substantially more interesting, since they are genuinely shocking. These surprises help to shape the outcome of the movie and are certainly a delight to watch, because they are more than just a little bit clever and creative. 

Fast and Furious 6 is able to become such an engaging movie, because it further develops some of the past history from the other movies in the franchise. There is just so much charismatic character development to the point that each and every character in the movie changes from start to finish. Because of the fact that the crew is mostly the same as the fifth movie, the relationships between everyone on screen progresses and is illustrated so much more to the point that audiences begin to really feel for the characters. Secondly, due to the growth between everyone that has taken place, this does nothing but help to set up the inevitable seventh movie for so much more success. 

Fast and Furious 6 tremendously benefits from having some noteworthy visuals. The vividly amazing visual effects of the movie are nothing short of spectacular and help the movie to capture all of the incredible action and fast-paced car scenes that take place. The superb special effects aid in creating a scene where the villain in the movie has a tank and takes down an entire highway's worth of cars and civilians that is truly fascinating to watch. The visuals are also a major factor in creating a battle that occurs on a massive plane, which is actually one of the best scenes in the whole movie, because it takes advantage of some of the twists that occur in the movie. Secondly, during the plane scene, there is one fantastic scene in particular that comes to mind that involves Dom and Hobbs working together to face a guy, who's so strong that it seems as if he is double both of their sizes, to develop a ferocious fist fightfor the ages. 

Fast and Furious 6 has an uncanny cast that knows how to act as the daredevils that their characters are. Vin Diesel continues to be the face of the franchise and rightfully so. He is able to eloquently transform into Dom Toretto and showcases the true might and grit of the character. Paul Walker does an awesome job of portraying Brian O'Connor, and his character just continues to get more and more complex. Dwayne Johnson's Luke Hobbs is another character who has just gotten better as he gets more on-screen time, and he is definitely one of the better additions to the series. Gal Gadot does a fabulous job of depicting Gisele Yashar and is really able to become the fierce woman who isn't afraid to get the job done. Sung Kang is back once again to play the relatable, fan-favorite Han, and his chemistry with Gal Gadot should not be underestimated, since their characters have a unique relationship that is really intriguing to watch. Tyrese Gibson plays Roman Pearce once again, and his character is able to keep the tone of the movie fairly light throughout, regardless of the fact that there are dangers, and his quick one-liners help to add hints of humor throughout the movie. 

Although Fast and Furious 6 isn't quite on the same level as the fifth one, it is still regarded fairly well by both critics and fans. Rotten Tomatoes gave the movie a solid 70%, and IMDb gave the film an alright 7.1/10, which is actually pretty good. However, an outstanding 93% of Google users liked the movie, demonstrating that this movie is still capable of being a triumphant hit. 

Fast and Furious 6 isn't as good as the one that came before it, and although it still is jam-packed with action, heart-beating adventure, cars, racing, drama, and enough history from previous movies to make the movie have so many different depths, this one isn't a good place to start with for those who haven't seen the others. However, this one's still fast and furious. 

"I need your help, Dom. I need your team." - Hobbs