Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse | Teen Ink

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

April 13, 2019
By MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey
MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey
678 articles 0 photos 8 comments

 Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse is an animated superhero movie that proves to be a change of pace and reinvents the meaning of what it means to be Spider-Man. The movie revolves around Miles Morales, who isn't the typical Peter Parker. Miles is just a typical, young teenager trying to adjust to a new school and enjoys listening to music, drawing graffiti, and hanging out with his cool uncle. However, after a bad day at his new school, Miles finds himself hanging out at a sketchy area with his uncle where they spray graffiti onto a wall, in order to make himself feel better. While there, Miles gets bitten by a colorful spider. At first, Miles just knocks the spider off, thinking that the spider is just an ordinary one. However, strange things begin to happen Miles, including him being able to stick to substances. Because Miles wants to realize what's going on, since he knows that there already is a Spider-Man and that there can't be two, he decides to go back to the spider that bit him. While investigating the dead spider, he soon discovers the real Spider-Man battling with the Green Goblin, as they fight over some machine. After Spider-Man helps to save Miles from danger, Peter tells Miles that he is like him and that he is going to try to help show Miles how to use his powers. After a slew of crazy events that involve Kingpin's masterplan, Miles becomes the Spider-Man of his universe, but due to the machine that Peter Parker was fighting over, Miles soon comes into contact with five other variations of Spider-Man that are like his own counterparts. All of them need to team up to stop a threat to all universes and realities, and in the process, Miles Morales learns the true meaning of what it means to be Spider-Man. 


 Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse proves to be an exceptionally entertaining movie that combines outstanding visuals with a charismatic concept that combines together to possibly create the greatest Spider-Man movie yet. The beginning of the movie brilliantly introduces audiences to the unique Miles Morales and allows viewers to know that this movie is going to be unlike anything done before. The middle of the movie marvelously progresses things along, presenting new, exciting obstacles for Miles, as well as further the story, creating a truly entertaining ride. The enticing ending of the movie proves to be everything and then some that viewers could have hoped for and manages to take advantage of al of the exhilarating events that occur. The actual conclusion is marvelous and helps to fit in with the rest of the movie, which is just as fantastic. The entirety of the adventure flows from start to finish, and the movie manages to be cohesive, entertaining, and have the ability to genuinely reinvent the world's idea of Spider-Man. 

 Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse may be considered a family movie, but this doesn't change the fact that the film is packed to the brim with thrilling twists and turns that are shocking and help to make the movie a roller coaster that everyone should want to be a part of. Because the movie tries to sway away from the well-known origin story of Spider-Man, even mentioning this in fourth wall-breaking moments, the movie needs to be unexpected, creative, and original. Luckily, the movie proves to be completely unexpected as it just blows audience's minds with its creativity and originality to produce a tale for the ages. 

 Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse is clever in that the movie knows how to both make fun of Spider-Man as a character and some of his blunders in other movies. The movie sheds some light on the fact that Spider-Man's origin story has become somewhat overused, which allows the movie to create a modern origin for a fittingly modern character. Miles Morales isn't Peter Parker, so his Spider-Man should be different, and it is. The movie understands this thoroughly, allowing the movie to poke fun at the classic superhero, while completely transcending the character as a whole. Throughout everything, the tone of the movie is fairly light, which is both a necessity for family-friendly movies but also for making the superhero on-screen relatable and likable. Miles becomes both of those things. The movie surprisingly involves some grimmer concepts, but due to the balance of tone, the movie never becomes depressing, sad, or overly-dark - a quality that many superhero movies struggle with. 

 Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse is essentially a movie revolving around a modern version of Spider-Man. Therefore, it shouldn't be surprising that the movie is at its best when it uses well-known characters and reinvents them. The movie doesn't only have one major villain, but it has several different villains that are slightly changed to make them both unpredictable and fresh. Because Spider-Man as a character has a tremendous rogues' gallery, great villains almost become the expected. This movie carries on that tradition, because it uses some of Spider-Man's most famous bad guys but changes them just enough to make the movie radically contemporary and authentic, which is not an easy take to accomplish. Miles Morales and Peter Parker are both in this movie, allowing the film to easily contrast between the two and showcase two different personalities that have similar ideals. 

 Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse is daring and unafraid to take a leap of faith, similar to the titular superhero. The entire movie is a piece of art that captures viewer's attentions and never lets go. The amazingly vivid visual effects are unworldly and allow the movie to have sharp transitions from one scene to the next. Not only do these capture the crude image of Spider-Man leaping from building to building, or the breathtaking setting of New York City, but it also allows the movie to have a fast pace that has a true rhythm, ensuring that the movie never becomes boring or stale. The spectacular special effects simply benefit everything, including battles with villains and making all of the different versions of Spider-Man come to life, but it is most beneficial in following through with the concept of having different universes' superheroes come into a single universe through one technologically advanced machine. As expected, combing people from other realities and transporting them into a single one should look awesome to watch, and the superb visuals carry out this very vision. The movie looks like it was crafted by some truly noteworthy artists, and the colors of the movie literally splash onto the screen.

 Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse is beloved by both critics and viewers alike and rightfully so. Rotten Tomatoes gave the movie an impressive 97%, which is nothing short of remarkable, and IMDb gave the movie a high 8.5/10, which may not sound like much, but it is also a truly noteworthy mark. A whopping 97% of Google users liked the movie, demsonstraintg that just about anyone and everyone found satisfaction with this inventive adventure. The movie won the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature Film, which is a pretty significant award to win, considering that the competition was especially stiff. 

 Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse introduces the world to a new Spider-Man that completely changes the game. Using radiant visuals and a splendid concept, this movie comes charging at the world, unafraid of revolutionizing the famous Spider-Man. Spider-Man was created in the 1960s, and for the time, it was a truly unfathomable concept to behold. Therefore, it's fitting that the world now has its very own Spider-Man for the modern-age. All expectations will be shattered with this one as the true purpose of Spider-Man is unleashed. In a year where movies revolving around Marvel superhero characters were terrific all around, it is quite the testament to say that this might be the best one of 2018. This is truly a marvel. 


The author's comments:

"That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero." - Stan Lee