Everything Everything Book/Movie | Teen Ink

Everything Everything Book/Movie

May 13, 2019
By Anonymous


Everything, Everything Book Comparison


This is a comparison of the book Everything, Everything and the movie.  

Everything, Everything was a New York Times best seller for 9 consecutive months, written for Young Adults.  This movie was an opportunity to have a best seller made into a movie that had an african american cast and director.

I think that books turning into movies became popular because there are people out there who don’t like to read and would rather watch the visual version instead. I think that reason is because books take longer to finish reading depending on how many pages, so it is easier to watch a movie and will continue because we live in a fast paced society.

Analyzing the ratings of the book and the movie, they both rated 4.5 stars.  The movie was very comparable to the book, it was missing some parts but overall did not change the feel of the book.  For example, Ollie did not have his rooftop hideout, he did not do handstands.

The credits do not list the author of the book, Nicola Yoon just that the movie was based on a book by her, and the screenplay was written by J. Mills Goodloe.  The drawings at the end of the movie are the same drawings as depicted in the book.

The characters, Maddy Whittier, and Olly were the same in both book and movie.  The actors that portrayed the characters were very comparable. The book brought up more about the abuse that Ollie suffered from his father.  One of the parts in the movie that was hard to follow was when Maddy was daydreaming, if you were not keeping up with the movie then you did not know if it was real or a daydream, where the book was easy to follow.

If you were an avid book reader it is sometimes hard to watch the movie, since you see more differences.  As society continues to move at a faster speed, books will become fewer, and movies will become shorter.

In conclusion, I felt that book was better than the movie because it had more detail and you could look back when you need to follow and you can visualize anything you want to with your brain.