Jason Bourne | Teen Ink

Jason Bourne

August 14, 2019
By MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey
MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey
678 articles 0 photos 8 comments

 Jason Bourne is the fifth movie in the Jason Bourne franchise and continues the adventures of the highly trained spy that is Bourne, taking placing directly after the events of The Bourne Ultimatum. Taking place ten years since Jason Bourne walked away from his old life and the Central Intelligence Agency that helped to train him to become the deadly weapon that he is, Bourne is now trying to separate from that old way of life and is now residing in Athens, Greece, where he's boxing people for money. However, after the agency gets hacked by a mysterious person that is later shown to be Nicky Parsons, who is linked with Jason Bourne, some of the leaders at the agency believe that Bourne is trying to take them out once again. This causes the CIA director, Robert Dewey, to attempt to throw him out of his life of hiding and living in the shadows by assigning a hacking expert, Heather Lee, to find him, who is also the person that discovered that Nicky Parsons was the one hacking the agency. Because Lee suspects that Nicky Parsons, who is a former operative for the agency, is also searching for Bourne, she hunts down Nicky to find Bourne, and before Bourne can truly figure out what's actually going on, Nicky is effectively tracked and Bourne is finally placed into the light and outside of the shadows that he had found so much comfort in. As Heather Lee and the agency once again place a target on the back of Bourne's head, Jason Bourne finds himself being thrown right back into the same world that he tried to leave. He must once again battle a sinister network that plans to use modern technology to track people, watch them and utilize the information against them to maintain unprecedented power. Meanwhile, Bourne learns a few fascinating secrets about his past that completely change his perception of how exactly he became the weapon that he is now. 

 Jason Bourne proves to be an exhilarating adventure that knows how to keep the adrenaline pumping. The beginning of the movie seamlessly transitions from the third movie in the franchise, which this movie takes place after, and reintroduces audiences to the fearless Jason Bourne. The middle of the movie marvelously progresses the plot along and introduces new and exciting obstacles for Bourne that are just a wonder to behold. The enticing ending of the movie manages to be quite adventurous and brilliantly wraps up not only the entire movie - by connecting back with the beginning to create a cohesive story - but it also manages to serve as a fantastic conclusion that is capable of concluding the entire franchise. 

 Jason Bourne continues the proud tradition of the Jason Bourne franchise having action galore. From fighting scenes to taking down assassins, Jason Bourne is once again showcased at his finest, demonstrating just how powerful and profound of a spy he truly is. He's always entertaining to watch, but in this film, things are starting to become far more personal for him, so when he's fighting, the movie is able to capture the audience's attention and never let go with Bourne's raw determination to hurt those who have hurt him. All of the fighting scenes are made possible by some truly noteworthy visuals. The amazingly vivid visual effects of the movie combine together with some spectacular special effects to create a movie that is just as visually breathtaking as it is with its story-driven plot. 

 Jason Bourne may be an action-packed adventure, but the true heart of the movie is Jason Bourne's interactions with all of the characters on-screen, and this is only made possibly by some noteworthy performances. Matt Damon is simply perfect as Jason Bourne, and he manages to delicately balance between bringing emotion, passion and intensity to the star role. Not only he is able to literally transform into the character, but he is able to bring an unparalleled level of swagger to the movie that naturally elevates it in every manner possible. His role is easily perfected by his strengths as an actor, and he is a key factor in the movie's success. Tommy Lee Jones has another superb performance in his portrayal of Robert Dewey, which is one of the most important characters in the entire movie. There are some other notable roles, like Alicia Vikander's Heather Lee, but Matt Damon and Jones steal the spotlight more often than not. 

 Jason Bourne might not be as epic as some of the other movies in this franchise, but it still serves as an efficient sequel that adds to Jason Bourne's adventures. Although the movie doesn't add that much to the mythos of Jason Bourne, it does manage to provide audiences with an enjoyable roller coaster that proves to be jam-packed with joyous action. For fans of the other movies in the franchise, this movie will absolutely not disappoint and will certainly surpass any and all expectations. This may not necessarily be a must-see, but it is definitely worth watching, due to how it effectively conjures up drama, has majestic visuals and an astounding plot that acts as a glue to combine everything together to create a pleasant adventure. 


The author's comments:

"I know who I am. I remember everything." - Jason Bourne