Instant Family | Teen Ink

Instant Family

By MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey
MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey

Instant Family proves to be a charming movie packed with drama and emotion to depict what it's like to be foster parents and, more importantly, what it's like to grow up as a foster kid. The movie revolves around Pete and Ellie Wagner, a married couple who spend their time flipping houses and enjoying their life without kids. However, they soon realize that now might be the perfect time to have kids, since they had previously been too busy and didn't have a chance to finally settle down. Although it initially starts out as a joke at first, Pete and Ellie quickly decide that fostering kids might be the perfect option for them, seeing as it would allow them to not have to deal with pregnancy issues and at the same time help those who could really use it. After going to an orientation on becoming foster parents, and receiving a talk from a foster kid that never got adopted, Pete and Ellie decide that this is something that they are intent on following through with. Upon completing the eight-week course necessary to become certified to become foster parents, Pete and Ellie attend an event of sorts where people meet and talk with foster kids to see if they are a good fit for one another. Although Pete and Ellie initially suspect that they are only going to get one kid, who will mostly likely be on the younger side, they both end up meeting Lizzy Viara, a spunky teenager with plenty of attitude and personality, who ends up making a great impression on the couple. The duo follows this up with contacting the people in charge of the fostering, and before they know it, they set up a meeting with the foster kids and meet them at their current residence, which is a rough place to grow up at. When they meet Lizzy, they also end up meeting her two younger siblings, Juan and Lita. Although they aren't entirely sure what they should do at first, after being told by their family members that they really weren't big supporters of them going through with their fostering plans, Pete and Ellie realize that they know what they need to do. Acting boldly, the couple decide to take in all three kids and quickly realize that they might be in way over their heads. 

Instant Family manages to transform into an emotionally engaging roller coaster that will be sure to please audiences with its natural charm. Dramatic and full of extreme passion, it is apparent from start to finish that this adventure puts all of the emotion that comes along with fostering into the spotlight. Highlighting the very relationships between Pete, Ellie, Lizzy, Lita and Juan, the movie truly acts as a story for the formation of their family, and although it isn't as instantaneous as the name suggests, within time, the family will become profound enough to make audiences feel both the heartwarming side and the heartbreaking side when certain difficulties develop. Unlike most dramatic comedies, there is a true message at the heart of this, and at the core of this family movie is a look into what life is like for foster kids, as well as those that take them into their homes. The movie becomes so meaningful that viewers can't help but feel like it is their responsibility to help create change as well, which could certainly encourage some to want to look into fostering. 

Instant Family greatly benefits from a star-studded cast that transforms into their roles with relative ease. Mark Wahlberg gives a wonderful portrayal of Pete Wagner, and his character is entertaining, enjoyable, relatable and by far one of the easiest characters to like and root for. His character may not have the easiest transition into becoming a parent, but he is definitely a parent at heart. Isabela Moner has one of the most inspired performances in her role as Lizzy Viara, and she brings out all of the character's spunk and attitude. Rose Byrne is brilliant as Ellie Wagner, and her character does a great job of adding humor into the movie to lighten the mood when necessary. While there are plenty of other notable roles, like Octavia Spencer's Karen, Moner is the true star and heart of the movie with her fantastic portrayal of Lizzy Viara, a complex character that happens to be a perfect example of how tough foster kids' lives really are. 

Instant Family concocts together a winning concept by combing together heartfelt drama with the ability to audaciously surprise audiences and to daringly be unafraid to turn to the unexpected. Aided by a truly noteworthy and breakout performance from Isabela Moner, the movie digs deep into the world of fostering, bringing out both the best and the worst to highlight its importance without sugarcoating anything. As a movie with a compelling theme and message in the spotlighting of some hidden truths in fostering, this movie possesses a story that deserves to be seen, making it an absolute must-see for all ages. 

"Ellie, people who take in foster kids are really special. The kind of people who volunteer when it’s not even a holiday. We don’t even volunteer on a holiday." - Pete Wagner