Batman – Hush Review: A Momentous Showcase of the Caped Crusader | Teen Ink

Batman – Hush Review: A Momentous Showcase of the Caped Crusader

By HBBReviews3603 BRONZE, Marietta, Georgia
HBBReviews3603 BRONZE, Marietta, Georgia

The original Batman: Hush from Jeph Loeb, Jim Lee, and Scott Williams is an unmitigated masterpiece. Praised as one of the best Batman stories of any medium, fans loved its intriguing mystery and revolutionary art style that was as much cinematic and hyper-realistic as it was dreamlike. With the story never having received any adaptation, it was only a matter of time before the geniuses at DC Animation picked the story up and melded a brand-new release. And now, releasing digitally on most markets just in time for the Caped Crusader’s eightieth anniversary, it’s the perfect time to delve into Batman: Hush. And is it the perfect adaptation to such beloved source material, or, if not, is it a worthy celebration of the Dark Knight? Worries should be put to rest as Batman: Hush is every bit as thrilling as it is slick. A truly momentous showcase of Bruce Wayne’s relationships both behind and away from the mask.  

Batman: Hush is based on the acclaimed graphic novel of the same name, and is directed by Justin Copeland, who previously served as a storyboard artist on Batman: The Killing Joke and Justice League vs The Fatal Five which premiered earlier this year at Wonder-Con. Penned by Ernie Altbacker of Teen Titans: The Judas Contract and Justice League Dark, the entire creative force behind Batman: Hush is no stranger to the medium and DC Animation as a whole. The voice cast is composed of returning favorites, from Jason O’Mara as the Caped Crusader to Jerry O’Connell as the Man of Steel in a small, yet effective cameo. In fact, Batman: Hush is composed rather largely of cameos. Iconic Batman villains such as Scarecrow, Harley Quinn and even Poison Ivy make small appearances. And whilst these characters are legendary and iconic in their own right, Altbacker’s decision to downgrade them to bits of fan service is justified, given the story’s already deep and complex layers.

Furthermore, Batman: Hush is one of the most lenient to bending and warping its source material out of any of the DC Animated features. It’s a bold choice, resulting in twists and turns that even fans of the original story won’t see coming. The underlying principles of the story are still there, including multiple shots that ooze Jim Lee’s style, but other than that, it’s a fresh experience, and I can’t say I didn’t appreciate the unique twist director Justin Copeland and company put on things.

However, looming over all the villains, just as it was in the original, is the titular character Hush. For fear of spoilers, I won’t confirm the voice actor, but the performance the anonymous actor makes is both subtle and effective. The low, almost growling edge to his voice creates some spectacular sequences of tension, kicking off a mood and tone that never lets up until the explosive finale. The eventual reveal of the character is bound to spark controversy, particularly in the most prominent of the original’s supporters, and it could be seen as unsatisfying, as the event that looms over the entire film for readers of the graphic novel classic never strikes quite the way as many expected. But even so, it’s the natural direction for Hush in this admittedly toned-down adaptation, and unless DC wanted to crank out a multiple-part feature event like The Death of Superman, it's still the best move.

Once again, the animation strikes a delicate balance between full-on adult animation and a more juvenile, family-friendly approach. There much heavier use of cel-shading, visible particularly in the shadows of Batman’s cowl and Catwoman’s suit. It’s small nuances no doubt, but it’s these nuances that make seeing the style still enjoyable and refreshing.

In the end, Batman: Hush is a spectacular celebration of the Batman character, even if it’s not so much of the source material. It recognizes the bonds, histories, and relationships of countless villains, engraving fresh additions to the lore in what is one of the most layered DC animated features to date. It may never reach the narrative complexity as its original, but I would argue that this animated adaptation aims for something different. A new, slick approach to both the titular character and the corresponding titular villain. Fashioning the separate parts into something meaningful is no easy task, but director Justin Copeland handles it capably and I would love to see his directing work continue in DC Animation. As for the film itself? Its rousing success can’t be hushed.

Bio: Charlie Jin is an avid writer, journalist, author, and cinephile, praising the very best that a year has to offer in film, literature, and gaming. He is the editor-in-chief and founder of HBB Reviews and is a proud member of the Southeast Film Critics Association, Georgia Film Critics Association, and the Atlanta Film Critics Circle. He has also written the critically acclaimed short story collection Project Vita which was awarded five-stars by Reader’s Favorite.