Spider-Man Into the Spider-Verse: Swinging into the Hearts of Teens Everywhere | Teen Ink

Spider-Man Into the Spider-Verse: Swinging into the Hearts of Teens Everywhere

By marieekholm BRONZE, Nashotah, Wisconsin
marieekholm BRONZE, Nashotah, Wisconsin

“Growing up” — a single phrase that evokes fear in teens everywhere. Growing up suggests change, something most teens have little experience with. Many movies try to portray the period of loneliness and confusion that arises from growth; however few have been successful. I would like to emphasize the word “few” because there is one movie in particular that I think portrays growth in a beautiful — and equally relatable — way.

This movie is 2018’s Spider-Man Into the Spider-Verse, which portrays the struggles fourteen-year-old Miles Morales faces in his quest to become the next Spider-Man. Not only is this a tale of family and unity in a world full of chaos, but it also tells a story of a young teen navigating through the hardships that come with growing up. 

The animation style is reminiscent of 20th Century Marvel comics: its bold lines and bright colors demand attention from the audience. The simplicity of its shapes contrasts the complexity of the smooth animation, providing a refreshing break from traditional CGI animation. 

Many teens — including me — find a sense of comfort watching Miles struggle to fit in. He is constantly at war with himself, torn between the expectations of those around him and the person he would like to become. Through the duration of this film, I found myself reflecting on my own life: my most embarrassing moments, heartfelt conversations, and memories of friendship. Watching Miles share those same experiences all while concluding the movie with a better understanding of his personality and desires earns him a spot as one of the best on-screen depictions of a growing teen. 

Even though my life lacks the super-villains and the intensity that comes with being a superhero while still in high school, I can’t help but see Miles as an inspiration to anyone on a journey to find their place in the world. 

As we approach the release of Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse (Part One), I hope to see a more comfortable and confident Miles, showing us that all teens — even superheroes — can conquer our common enemy: change. 

My favorite movie of all time is Spider-Man Into the Spider-Verse. I wanted to share my honest opinion about the movie in hopes to find more people who love it as much as I do.