Interstellar movie review | Teen Ink

Interstellar movie review

By JudeB SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
JudeB SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

Space is one of the great unknowns of human history. Around the time of Christ, it was thought that the Earth was the center of the entire universe, with everything else surrounding it in orbit. Ever since it’s been known that there are millions upon millions of other galaxies that lay beyond our own Milky Way. Scientists believe that colonizing other planets within the next 100 years is easily in our reach—which is what makes the movie Interstellar so intriguing. 

In the movie, we see a group of well renowned astronauts and scientists led by the main character Cooper in an attempt to find a new planet to colonize instead of the famined Earth. The movie starts with Cooper and his children, Murphy and Tom, hacking into a drone; Immediately we learn that Cooper is great with computers and technology. Suddenly, the amazing filming is displayed during the chase for the crashing drone. The beautiful angles that appear throughout the film  are just starting to be shown off. 

The extremely realistic filming isn’t the only thing that has a strength in the movie. The CGI isn’t a cheesy mess like other movies from 2014; Interstellar portrays unknown space objects as very realistic. A scene on “Miller’s Planet” displays realistic CGI to its maximum advantage. The scene takes place on an all-water planet that seems quite unsuitable for human life. At first, watchers would be deceived into thinking that this scene was filmed on our very own home planet. Suddenly, Cooper and his crew spot a mountain range. As the crew becomes ecstatic with their findings, the hopeful feelings suddenly dwindle to an ultimate minimum because “Those aren’t mountains, they’re waves,” (Interstellar, 2014). The physics and science of the waves were proven to be extremely accurate when comparing them to real-life, city-destroying mega tsunamis. 

The accurate science behind the film strikes a strange sense of fear into the watcher.  For example, in the film Cooper's crew was in proximity of the black hole “Gargantua”. Black holes are known for being mysterious but also being the strongest thing in the universe, which instantly made people, including myself, feel disbelief about the accuracy of the Movie, because  in 2014, it was nearly impossible to understand what a black hole looked like or how it reacted with matter surrounding it. However, In 2019, astrophysicists unknowingly proved the realism of Gargantua with the first ever image of a Supermassive black hole in the center of Galaxy M87, lingering 54 million light years away. Comparing the portrayal of a black hole to this new discovery had extremely similar characteristics. It further causes me to become so bewildered of the vast Universe that could present such odd possibilities.

These accurate scientific representations of space embodiments further brought me more respect and enjoyment to the film after watching it many more times over the past years since 2014.