The Batman Review | Teen Ink

The Batman Review

May 24, 2022
By imnotawrite_r SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
imnotawrite_r SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Do or do not. There is no try.


Three hours.  Three full hours.  Upon seeing this run time, most people would turn away from any movie.  But Don’t let the length of The Batman intimidate you; there’s more than meets the eye to this iconic DC legend.  Not only does this movie take an innovative turn to the original Dark Knight we all know and love, but the incredible acting, soundtrack, and cinematography create a mood throughout the whole movie that will keep you glued to your seat.


To start out with, I don't think Matt Reeves could have chosen a greater cast for each character in this dark story.  Robert Pattinson does an astounding job at portraying the vengeful Batman, while also showing the dark and depressing side to this billionaire vigilante.  


Possibly the most surprising part of this movie was seeing Paul Dano represent The Riddler.  The Riddler is a much lesser-known character with a lot of wiggle room for his personality to fluctuate.  Dano does an amazing (and honestly terrifying!) job at presenting The Riddler.  His acting was enough to give me chills and question whether the man was truly insane.


Another interesting turn to the iconic Batman superhero was seeing different sides to his new character.  I applaud Matt Reeves for designing this DC legend into not only a dark warrior, but also showing his detective, billionaire philanthropist, and vulnerable side.  The new personality Matt Reeves manifests for The Batman is innovative and well-suited for a movie these days, making it more realistic and appealing to a greater audience.  Anyone who thinks The Batman is all muscle and money is in for a surprise upon seeing this movie.


The cinematography throughout the whole movie is breathtaking, but I think the greatest aspect of this film is how the cinematography is consistent throughout the movie.  You can expect beautiful scenes from beginning to end; not a single minute is filmed without accuracy and precision.  From the action-packed fighting scenes to the calmer, rainy city scenes, to everyone’s favorite car chase scene, your eyes will be glued to the screen the entire time.


The soundtrack.  Without this, The Batman wouldn’t be the success it is.  Michael Giacchino’s brilliance in musical theory is made clear in each and every note throughout the movie.  The best part about this movie is that Batman really has no theme, and with Matt Reeves creating an entirely new character, the possibilities are endless for music.  Giacchino does an astounding job keeping consistent with the gloomy vibe of this entire movie, while also creating a theme that gives me goosebumps every time I hear it.  The implementation of Something In The Way is genius!  I can’t stress enough how greatly this song not only was a perfect choice for this movie, but how it also brilliantly connected the beginning and end of this masterpiece together.  Being a huge fan of music, I could not get enough of the soundtrack for this movie, and I know others feel the same way.

 

A common disapproval for this movie is that Christian Bale did a better job acting out Batman.  It’s important to consider, however, that Matt Reeves wasn’t intending for this movie to be a sequel or continuation of the Dark Knight series.  Although holding the same vibe and overall characters, The Batman is a fresh start in a completely new direction for this DC superhero.  Comparing Robert Pattinson to Christian Bale is like comparing (find something), they’re just not supposed to be the same character.


One single bit of dissatisfaction I had while watching this film was the plot.  At times I found the storyline confusing, and trying to figure out exactly what was happening distracted me from fully enjoying the movie.  If I could give one piece of advice to anyone watching this movie, it would be to focus on the story behind the story, and you will fully enjoy this movie for the masterpiece that it is.


The author's comments:

VENGEANCE