The Making of Edward Scissorhands | Teen Ink

The Making of Edward Scissorhands

By theholypanda SILVER, Queens, New York
theholypanda SILVER, Queens, New York

Tim Burton is well known for his gothic styles of film. His gothic style of film is heavily influenced by the era of German Expressionism. He utilized chiaroscuro, exaggerated expressions, distorted angles, and distorted figures to depict the mood and showcase the subjectiveness. Through his films, Burton used these techniques and visions to demonstrate that those who are outcasts don’t need to conform to the standards and norms of society in order to be accepted. He was able to manipulate the audience’s emotions with the usage of distorted shadows and high contrast lightning to convey how life was truly like for those who are outcast which is most notable in Edward Scissorhands, a fantasy romance film.

Overall, Edward Scissorhands was a poignant film. The storyline was interesting and the set design was pretty cool. Not only that, the makeup team did a great job at depicting Edward the way Tim Burton envisioned it. Edward looks completely different from the actor itself. One of the most memorable scenes from the film was when Edward tries to save Kevin from the vehicle by putting his body onto him, but then he accidentally scratches Kevin with his scissorhands. He is blamed by Jim for hurting Kevin and is further ostracized by others even though he desperately tries to understand and fit in. Afterwards, he became worried about Kevin and asked if he had hurt him. This demonstrates that despite his outward appearance, he is soft, innocent, and caring, but only Kim and Peg acknowledge that. However, with that being said, I just don’t understand why Kim suddenly fell for Edward even though she was initially disgusted by him. I feel like this kind of  ‘relationship’ isn’t that realistic. I would rate this movie a 6 or 7 out of 10. It is not something I would watch again.