More Than Surface Deep, Barbie Is The Perfect Metaphor | Teen Ink

More Than Surface Deep, Barbie Is The Perfect Metaphor

A cultural icon far before a name at a theater, the word Barbie has grown to embody far more than just a toy. A personification of societal expectation, the relationship between her and America’s youth has been endlessly scrutinized: a relationship not just explored but masterfully dissected in Margot Robbie’s film: The Barbie Movie. Despite its controversial subject, the movie manages to do what so many attempted feminist films could not: simultaneously entertain and persuade its audience. For all of its glitzy, glamorous visual appeal, this movie embellishes but never once takes its eyes of its purpose: to deliver a strong, almost satirical statement about gender roles and constraints.

This movie succeeds where others failed because of the fact that it achieved its effect so slyly, in a way that neither came off argumentative nor political. Yet somehow, it managed it to be both, prompting a far overdue discussion regarding the concept of the patriarchy. The uniqueness of the approach- perfectionism- could be noted, rightfully so. More importantly, Barbie captivates its audience throughout its statement, perfectly utilizing the idolized appeal of the doll to hold your attention.. and when Gloria's famous monologue begins, you might also hold your breath. While it can (and probably has been) argued that the movie does nothing more than glamorize an already idealized lifestyle, I would argue that the romanticized scenery: the beautiful beach and cheerful dolls, had the opposite effect.

Hear me out. Rather than burden the filmmakers with the baggage of such a controversial past, the writers employed the previous image of Barbie, turning it into a lens through which the myth of the American dream could be viewed. As Barbie ́s character develops, her initial grief at the loss of Barbieland shifts to consciousness about the place she once loved so much. She acknowledges that while the circumstances she enjoyed were enviable, her goals were unachievable in her ¨perfect¨ life. In fact, it could be argued that this was the main conflict of the film. Finally admitting, "I want to be a part of the people that make meaning, not the thing that is made," the audience can feel distinct relief, finally finding advice applicable to their own personal struggles.

So, yes, if I were asked, the Barbie movie had its flaws. Just like its characters. But it managed to rise far above them, defying expectations and inspiring in its audience a sense of awe and appreciation: not just for the film, but for the chaotic, beautiful world around us, and for the knowledge that even though we may not live in Barbieland, everyday is still an opportunity to be who we are and not what society wants us to be.