The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes, is it Worth Watching? | Teen Ink

The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes, is it Worth Watching?

By Irda SILVER, Tirana, Other
Irda SILVER, Tirana, Other

Would I do the same if I were in his place? That’s the question running through my head in every decision our protagonist, Coriolanus Snow, makes. This great production is an adaptation of the book by Suzzane Collins, The Hunger Games: The Songbirds and Snakes. Directed by the same person, Francis Lawrence, who directed three of the previous Hunger Games movies, this movie will leave you shocked. Shocked how? Well, first of all, in this story instead of Snow being an antagonist, Coriolanus, who is played by Tom Blyth, is our protagonist. Yes, the evil monster himself who turned out to be human. Following this complex character and his journey to being the president of Panem, you’ll find yourself on an emotional roller coaster, questioning your morals and if you are like me, a few tears might fall. 
Like the wind, with the voice of an angel, we are presented Lucy Gray Braid, the female tribute from District 12 whose mentor is…yes, Coriolanus.  However, our protagonist isn’t very excited that he gets the District 12 tribute. He is a Snow after all, that last name must hold some weight. The Snows are an elite family in the Capitol, although there are only 3 of them left as Coriolanus lost his parents in the war against the districts. Too early to become a man, he has big shoes to fill and live with the pain of his loss. This loss, however, means they don’t have anyone to provide for them. Grandma is too old, and Tigris, his cousin, is too young, just like him. To pay for university he needs money; to get that, he needs The Plinth Price; to get The Plinth Price, he has to be the mentor for the winning tribute. This is impossible, Lucy Gray is from District 12, she’s underfed and weak. Or at least that’s what he thought. 
Following this story where two characters, who in first looks are so different, we realize they share the same goal: survival. In all the darkness and desperation, Cornelius and Lucy Gray find themselves feeling a bit more about each other. What is it? All I can share my friends is that this “feeling” might change as our characters develop.  
Now, let’s talk business. I will forever be a “book over movie adaptation person”, however, this movie is an exception. Everything from the costumes to the soundtrack, fit so perfectly that I felt the book take a visual form right before my eyes, and loved every second of it. There was not one moment that made me think: “Let’s see what people on the internet are up to”. Going back to wardrobe, there is so much I want to share with you, but for me, it comes down to one detail. For all the book lovers or people who watched the first four movies, they planted a little easter egg. If you look closely enough, you’ll see that Lucy Gray's dress for the reaping has katniss and primrose flowers pained on the corset alongside snakes, I have one word: cool. This is not all of it, but if you are interested have a look at the article “Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes costume designer on subtle style nods to Katniss and President Snow” by Entertainment, and I promise you’ll be entertained.  
The crown, I must give to the soundtrack. The number of times I have listened to “Can’t Catch Me Now” by Olivia Rodrigo or “Hanging Tree” by Lucy Gray herself (Rachel Zegler if you’re looking for the real-life person) is embarrassing. The melody, rhythm, and most importantly, the lyrics compliment the story and characters so well, that some might say it reached perfection. What I also noticed is how the lighting was changed to fit the scene. It might seem like a small detail, but it made all the difference in how the atmosphere was set. I also must appreciate the amazing cast, who made the story flow and brought tears to my eyes.  Tom Blyth made the transition from Cornelians to Snow seem so smooth, and that is not easy to do. There are well-written movies, with a great plot, but sadly some of them are ruined by poor character transformation.  Tom didn’t disappoint me one bit, but every actor in this movie deserves spotlight. Lucy Gray served to us by Rachel Zegler was so realistic, and the only explanation I can give for that is that she is the real Lucy Gray (or that she’s a good actor, but that sounds too boring). There are two names you might recognize: Viola Davis, EGOT winner, plays Head Gamemaker, Dr. Volumnia Gaul, and “Game of Thrones” alumnus Peter Dinklage plays Casca Highbottom. I have another word: cooler. 
I tried to keep this review short and light, however this dystopian is far from that. It’s about human nature, what we humans, the creators of monsters, can do. It’s about love and friendship, and how we can burn that in one moment. At the beginning of the movie, you’ll forget who “Snow the Monster” is. You’ll just see Coriolanus, a young boy you can relate to, but that person dies. Now, instead of him is a Snow, and he lives up to the name. What I think captures the essence of this transformation, is two lines from two characters. “You seem like a good man,” Lucy Gray tells him not long after they met. But in the end, all Tigris can say is “You look just like your father”.  In a movie the plot isn’t the only thing that matters, it goes down to little details. The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes is an example of how these details can turn a movie into something extraordinary. Let’s end it with a quote and I hope after you watch the movie, you’ll truly understand it and how it affects the entire Hunger Games world: “She could fly around District 12 all she liked, but she and her mockingjays could never harm him again.” Or could they? 

Back in The Hunger Games world, back with another amazing movie following this very complex character, you might know him as President Snow, we're in for a good ride. Bottom line, go watch this movie if you haven't already!

on Apr. 3 at 2:36 am
Amina43-0953 GOLD, Tirana, Other
This helped me decide if the movie was worth watching! Such a wonderful review with a great sense of humor!