Lady Bird review | Teen Ink

Lady Bird review

By writervincent BRONZE, Sacramento, California
writervincent BRONZE, Sacramento, California

"I feel more together when I am a mess." -NF on the song "Like This"

Have you ever been so close to a dream, with just a couple of things holding you back? Lady bird involks the story of a high school senior as she explores her own identity and aspirations. From handling her social life to her religious beliefs to her college applications, Lady “Christine” Bird yearns for independence and artistic fulfillment. Wanting to go out of state for college but her grades, financial stability, and surprisingly her mother all come into factors of preventing her from doing this. 

Set in Sacramento California, the film depicts Lady Bird’s journey through the ups and downs of adolescence and the complexities of relationships. Saoirse Ronan’s portrayal of Lady Bird is nothing short of excellent, fully embodying her role and performing so well. She portrays the challenges of growing up and finding one’s place in the world. The film beautifully navigates the highs and lows of a high school senior year and her quest for self-discovery. 

The mother is the most interesting character because she has a tough love for her daughter. She doesn’t want to see Lady Bird leave the state for college. Also, she often has something to say to every one of Lady Bird’s actions. Despite this tough love relationship she has with her daughter, by the end of the film she learns to accept her daughter for who she is. This film sincerely portrays the relationship between a mother and her daughter. It was exceptionally simple to relate to them if similarly situated growing up, they’re frequently extremely entertaining yet additionally exceptionally sincere and enchanting. 

It is an extremely engaging film outwardly, with wonderful and bright cinematography. The music has a lot of energy, but it also knows when to be subtle. Greta Gerwig’s direction is amazing as her story balances narratives with humor and emotional elements. Her genuine portrayal of Sacramento, identity, and love will reside with all audiences. The comedy is light on its feet, and she avoids making the emotional elements overbearing or tonally excessive. 

Lady Bird is an outstanding movie and lives up to all of my expectations. It’s a heartfelt exploration of the human experience, portraying the nuances of family love and the pursuit of dreams. Watch Lady Bird for a heartwarming journey through the lenses of a high school senior. This coming-of-age film has authentic storytelling and compelling characters. The film emerges as a relatable and touching masterpiece. 

This is a film review of the movie 'Lady Bird'. 

Written by a High school senior who watched this in class.