A Quiet Place | Teen Ink

A Quiet Place

January 29, 2024
By Jordan411ling BRONZE, Sacramento, California
Jordan411ling BRONZE, Sacramento, California
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present." -Master Oogway


Do you think you can be quiet for 365 days? That means no clearing your throat, no coughing, no sneezing, and other things that can produce a sound loud enough to attract the monsters with enhanced hearing. The horror movie A Quiet Place, was released on April 6, 2018 and produced by Michael Bay, who is famous for his Transformer Series, Bradley Fuller, who produced for The Purge Series, and Andrew Form, who also helped with The Purge Series. A Quiet Place is about a family of originally 6 but eventually becomes only 4 family members by the end of the movie. In the cast of A Quiet Place, John Krasinski plays the father, Emily Blunt plays the mother, Millicent Simmonds as the oldest child, Noah Jupe as the second youngest child, Cade Woodward plays the youngest child in the beginning of the movie. The family survives during this harsh time by having to stay quiet because there are monsters with enhanced hearing that are attracted to loud noises. The family lives on a farm and eventually attracts the attention of the monsters due to not being careful with their surroundings thus making the family struggle with defending themselves from the monsters.

A Quiet Place is a great movie because of the theme, which is staying quiet so that the monsters don't hear you and come to kill you. The reason why I like A Quiet Place is because of the dialogue but it’s not your typical dialogue, since the theme is about staying quiet, that means the characters inside the movie will have to communicate with each other through sign language. For most of the movie, the characters have to communicate through sign language to stay quiet from the monsters but also for their oldest child, who is deaf. When there is dialogue through sign language, the producers write subtitles for the viewers so they can understand the conversation that characters are having. I really enjoyed this type of dialogue because it’s not like other movies where there is a loud noise deafening the character’s words, like a bomb explosion or a ringing noise. No intensifying music, just an intense scene with the characters communicating with each other through sign language telling one another to run to safety while the other one distracts the monsters.

A Quiet Place has won a total of four awards when it was released on April 6, 2018. In 2018, the movie was rewarded with Bandung Film Festival for Imported film. In 2019, received the Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance for Emily Blunt, Critic’s Choice Movie Award for Best Sci-Fi/Horror, and the Satellite Award for Best Sound. I once stumbled upon a video on Youtube about how A Quiet Place won the best sound award because the sound producer used vegetables or something to create the sound for the monsters, which was those clicking sounds that the monsters made, and he produced those types of sounds by bending vegetables.

In A Quiet Place, I like the father, who is played by John Kransinki because I like how the father is always trying to save his wife and kids due to his responsibility of being a father and being the man in the family. The father is always the one leading because he is the one to protect his family from danger and he always takes care of them. Some examples is in the beginning of the movie, his youngest child was getting hunted down by the monster for using a loud toy and then the father put down his second youngest child and started running to rescue his youngest child but unfortunately couldn’t reach him before the monster did. Another example is when he has to choose between saving his children from the monsters or his pregnant wife, who was at the time going into labor, and he chose his wife because she is in the most danger since childbirth is one of the most painful experiences the human body can experience, and he does save her in the nick of time. I also feel like the father has a harder job than the other characters because the family depends on the father. He has to create and improve a hearing device for his daughter, make descriptions of the monsters, trying to find help through the radio, and teach his children to take care of their mother and themselves. He teaches his son to not be afraid when they go to a waterfall and scream to top of their lungs, he apologies to his daughter to tell her that the death of youngest child wasn’t her fault and that he doesn’t hate her, and after all of his character development, he sacrifices himself to save his children's life by yelling at the monster which attracts the monster’s attention and kills him.

Overall I would say A Quiet Place is great movie and would recommend it to people who haven’t watched A Quiet Place yet because I would say A Quiet Place is a pretty popular movie, not as popular like Friday the 13th, or A Nightmare on Elm Street, and other popular horror movies but it’s not bad. My first time watching A Quiet Place, I enjoyed watching the dialogue, the characters, the solution for dealing with the monsters, and the plot twists. I also liked the intense moments in the movie because sometimes those intense moments just come out of nowhere and change the whole mood in the scene. If you like intense scenes, heartwarming messages, and no jumpscares, then I would recommend A Quiet Place.


The author's comments:

I wrote a review on A Quiet Place because I find it really interesting and I recommend other people to watch it if they haven't yet.