Movie Review: Eighth Grade | Teen Ink

Movie Review: Eighth Grade

By Cedishere BRONZE, Sacramento, California
Cedishere BRONZE, Sacramento, California

“With God all things are possible”

If you went to a school with no family and no peers, what would your identity be? I don’t mean your pronouns like him/her or he/she. I mean how would people view you, would it be the “most beautiful girl in school” or “the hard-working nerd” or even the “fat kid”? Well in the film Eighth Grade that’s what Kayla Day (Elsie Fisher), is trying to figure out… who she’ll be.

This Coming of Age/Comedy movie is rated R, so it might be explicit for some viewers, but it can also be really great for viewers ages 12-18. The movie plot is for Kayla Day to make it past her last week of eighth grade, while trying to find her identity for herself and others too. She lied to herself mostly throughout the film and others too making her life seem like all good, when it was indeed not. This movie is a good movie! And you should watch it with your friends for a good laugh.

What makes this movie funny to me personally is how ironic this movie’s main character, Kayla, is to the real world’s society. The film relates to how frightening eighth grade can be, but it really relates to what we (teenagers) will do to some extent to fit in with someone or some group in today’s society. Like when Kayla lied to this boy saying she had nude photos in her phone, but only for her boyfriend (who did not exist), just to converse with him. 

What inspired me to write this movie review over the other ones was simply because of the similarities the movie has between teenagers and society around that age. 

Luis Castro said...
on Feb. 7 at 8:50 pm
Luis Castro, Sacramento, California

"Do or do not, there is no try"
Yoda

Sounds funny. I'll have to watch it