Red Shoes and the Seven Dwarfs | Teen Ink

Red Shoes and the Seven Dwarfs

February 26, 2024
By Laren68 SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
Laren68 SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Red Shoes and the Seven Dwarfs is a fantastic movie for fairytale lovers. This movie is based on the fairytale Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. However, the movie has a twist. The only person who views Snow White’s true self as “the fairest of them all” is herself. The moral of this story is more about inner beauty and not judging a book by its cover. In Red Shoes and the Seven Dwarfs, Snow White is an admirable character. She takes pride in her strength and loves herself for who she is. The typical princess movie storyline is the princess has a mission or a goal and learns something along the way. During Snow White’s mission, she teaches someone else a lesson. 

In this movie, Snow White is an overweight princess. Her father marries her stepmother, Regina, who is a witch. At the movie's beginning, Snow White’s father has gone missing, and she takes it upon herself to find him. She investigates his office, hoping to find out his whereabouts. While doing so, she discovers one of Regina’s most prized possessions, her magic apple tree. Strangely, a pair of red shoes grew from the apples on the tree; nevertheless, the red shoes seemed normal. However, when she puts on the red shoes she discovers that they provide eternal youth and beauty. They end up completely transforming her body into what is conventionally attractive. Unfortunately for Snow White, her stepmother discovers her in the office. Regina mistakes Snow White for someone else and chases her out of the castle.

After Snow White is chased out of the castle, she discovers the seven dwarfs’ cottage. It turns out that the dwarfs used to be normal human beings who were a group of fighters known as The Fearless Seven. The Fearless Seven was known for saving several damsels in distress until they crossed paths with the Fairy Princess. Unfortunately, the group of fighters mistook her for a witch and attacked her. Out of fury, she cursed them to appear as green dwarfs whenever someone looked at them. The cure is to receive a kiss from the most beautiful woman in the world. The dwarfs find Snow White in their cottage and agree to help her find her father, hoping she will lift their curse. During this, Snow White goes by the name of Red Shoes to conceal her identity. She looks at her new form in dismay, longing to return to her old self. She realizes that she must keep the shoes on if she wants to receive any help to find her father.

Another factor in the movie includes the progression of the character development.  The character development feels real and correctly paced. It’s not at all a stereotypical movie. The moral of not judging a person by how they appear is overused in movies. However, Red Shoes and the Seven Dwarfs has a refreshing approach to this moral. Contributing to the fantastic storyline is the animation. It is a three-dimensional animation that is similar to the movie Frozen. The movie contains several beautiful scenes and stunning backgrounds. Red Shoes and the Seven Dwarfs is a South Korean animated movie by Locus Creative Studios. Unfortunately, the movie's success wasn't great due to the mistakes made by their marketing team. The marketing team created posters that were seen as insulting. Therefore, the movie wasn’t released in the United States. 

Red Shoes and the Seven Dwarfs follows Snow White’s journey to find her father as her evil stepmother pursues the magical red shoes. The movie covers pretty privileges in an eye-opening manner. It explains the sad truth of how far looks can take people in this world. As well as how important it is to appreciate the beauty of another’s personality. It is a movie for not just kids, but for everyone to enjoy. After all, there is no age cutoff to learn a lesson or watch a good movie. Red Shoes and the Seven Dwarfs is a must-watch and I would recommend it.