Oppenheimer | Teen Ink

Oppenheimer

By KT1111 BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
KT1111 BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

You may know the danger that nuclear weapons pose to our society today, but have you ever wondered who was behind this all? Robert J. Oppenheimer is considered the “father of the atomic bomb” and led in creating the first atomic bomb. They made a movie about Oppenheimer and his life. “Oppenheimer” is a very engaging and mind-blowing movie, but can also be very horrifying to some. This movie covers information about the atomic bomb’s creation, the personal struggles of Oppenheimer himself, and concerns about the atomic bomb. Those concerns are greatly related to the global impact of the world.

Robert J. Oppenheimer, nicknamed Oppie, was a nuclear physicist who led the Manhattan Project, which was behind making the first atomic bombs during World War ll. This movie details the steps the chemists used to create the first fission bomb. The first test of this bomb occurred in 1945.  This was the first nuclear explosion, the “Trinity” test. This movie describes the possible effects testing this bomb could have; possibilities that were greater than anyone could ever imagine. It gives edge-of-seat suspense accompanied by the reality of the subject of those possibilities.

Robert J. Oppenheimer had many challenges outside of creating the atomic bomb. Oppenheimer had many allegations against him since he was assumed to be a former communist in the 1930s. At the time, communism was a huge fear in America. The U.S. Government needed his brain, especially during the war, which had a big impact on Oppenheimer. Oppenheimer was faced with some mental health problems through all of this. He knew what he created would change our world, but he didn’t know just how much it would affect it. 

There were numerous overwhelming concerns about the creation of the atomic bomb. This bomb has the power to potentially obliterate far beyond our wildest imagination. The potential consequences of a weapon like the atomic bomb are still countless and significant. This movie strongly demonstrates the horrors these weapons can cause. It displays how humanity was stripped away in an instant. The future of our world was drastically changed by the creation of this weapon. Oppenheimer had many overwhelming feelings about the future. Feelings such as guilt and fear that would stay with him for the rest of his life.

“Oppenheimer” is one of the most provocative movies I have ever watched. It explains and demonstrates the creation of the atomic bomb and information about it, the struggles Oppenheimer faced along the way to getting named the “father of the atomic bomb”, and the concerns about this great weapon. This movie will bring shivers down your spine from the roaring sound and the blazing light of the explosion of the atomic bomb to the powerful consequences this world was faced with. The “father of the atomic bomb” is a more high-powered name than anyone would think and for Oppenheimer, a whole lot of guilt was on his shoulders because of it. Robert J. Oppenheimer stated, “I believe we have destroyed the world.”

The first time I watched Oppenheimer, I was completely mind-blown. I had to watch it three more times for it to make sense because there was so much information and things happening. For me, it was horrifying to think about but also amazing at the same time.