Through “Barbie” : The Complications of a Feminist Film | Teen Ink

Through “Barbie” : The Complications of a Feminist Film

By annietang BRONZE, Farmington, Connecticut
annietang BRONZE, Farmington, Connecticut

“Barbie”, director and co-writer of Greta Gerwig’s summer splash, presented an energizing cinematic piece for the audience that, beyond doubt, went impressively viral. The impeccable art direction of the film filled our screens with bright and gleaming colors, highlighting  the plastic-perfect styles and costumes we associate with Barbie. However, despite its visual appeal, the movie's plot lacked long term impact. 

Under the captivating facade of Barbies and Kens is a deeper message concerning the  concept and power of feminism. The movie showcases a perfect world run by Barbies, signifying the endless power and potential of female leaders in Barbie Land while reminding the viewer that the same situation would be unlikely in the world we are living in now. Throughout the movie, the journey of the protagonist, a stereotypical Barbie, transitions between the real world and the ‘perfect’ world created by Barbies. The dichotomies of both worlds demonstrate the brutality of gender inequality for both men and women. Despite the movie’s attempts, it struggled to adequately provide a resolution for gender equality that could still smoothly integrate with the plot. As a result, the film's main storyline felt like a side piece within the overarching message of feminism.  

While the concept of the movie was laudable, the narrative struggled to narrate the plot, leaving viewers to connect the dots during  several foggy scenes. Moments  emphasizing women's power  overshadowed the storyline, particularly during the scene where Barbie and Ken journeyed to the real world to fix Barbie's  problems. Through the unfolding of unexpected situations, the so-called dynamic duo rollerblade through the city. Upon their arrival, they find themselves in a world made and based on the stereotypical white male. This scene constructs a world that is  built on the  issues and insecurities that push  girls to strive for  perfection. The intention of this scene was to present the difference between real life situations and the world Barbie imagined it to be. However, the confusing side stories disrupted the flow of the narrative.  

As much as the movie was depicted as groundbreaking feminist media, it fell short in framing the story. The portrayal of female power was undoubtedly displayed throughout this piece,  insight to real life situations crucial to modern society. The movie entertained viewers through whimsical houses adorned with the iconic pink colors of the Barbie world, yet they could not escape messages addressing the reality of the society surrounding us. While the film proves to be an outstanding piece of cinematography, “Barbie” remains flawed, reminding us  that perfection is elusive, even in the world of art and cinema.

Writing a review of Barbie sparked my interest as the film was advertised and shown on daily social media ads and posts. Drawn in by the vibrant colors and eye-catching characters, I decided to watch the movie myself. Though the movie's visuals were indeed presented flawlessly, I couldn't help but notice the storyline of the movie. Regardless of the significant message the movie addressed, the flow of the story throughout the movie created a setback. I decided to write a review of the film addressing the small flaws in the production, bringing another perspective to the Barbie Movie.