Mystery Of Opulence | Teen Ink

Mystery Of Opulence

Baz Luhrmann, the creator of “The Red Curtain” Trilogy; known for his extravagant and detailed set pieces and costumes. Knowing this Australian director was leading the recreation of the well-known novel, “The Great Gatsby.” The movie gives great visuals and the plot is steady, spiking during the climax. Lots of people would watch this movie just based on the amazing casting choices including Leonardo DiCaprio playing the Great Gatsby himself along with Toby Maguire playing Nick Carraway; Gatsby’s friendly neighbor.

“The Great Gatsby” takes place in New York, 1922 after the Great War or more known as World War One. The jazz really immerses you into the movie as you get to see the old New York filled with beautiful classic cars. An old styled movie meets for a large target audience, and it was performed well by the actors, feeling as if the story was really coming to life. Within the movie, the vibe really changes half way through; showing us a happy story, to a bit more dreary and realistic side of Gatsby.

The rundown basics of the plot is that Nick Carraway moves into a small house right next to the famous Gatsby’s mansion. Unknowing of who this man is, he gets an invitation to one of his great parties; one that all the neighboring wealthy people in New York attend. He soon figures that no one has seen the Gatsby, until a discussion with a woman he’d meet. The story goes on, and Nick finds himself in a large-scale situation in which he doesn’t believe he can handle.

I personally found the story to be interesting and a fun experience to watch on my own. Some parts even make you scream at your tv hoping for the characters to hear you. If you're looking for a unique movie that has a bit of everything, I would one hundred percent recommend “The Great Gatsby.” Over time this movie has become one of my favorites, and hopefully one of yours too.

This review dives deep into the mystery of the one and only Gatsby. Spoilers are kept to a minimum, and so are the red flags of this movie.