Interstellar Review | Teen Ink

Interstellar Review

By Jordan411ling BRONZE, Sacramento, California
Jordan411ling BRONZE, Sacramento, California

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present." -Master Oogway

Did you ever think that our planet, earth, would have dust storms so terribly bad that it would eventually become unbearable for living organisms to live on earth? Those dust storms were the main problem of the main character, Cooper and his family, Murphy his daughter, and Cody his son. When I first watched Interstellar, it changed my perspective on science fiction. I used to think that science fiction was a boring genre to watch because I thought Interstellar was going to be like Star Wars, just people in spaceships and futuristic technology, and laser guns. However after watching Interstellar, I realized that science fiction IS about spaceships and futuristic technology with no laser guns but is a powerful way to tell the viewers that there new things that we never knew were out there in space and to help us understand the possible outcomes of our planet.

Interstellar is about how earth has become unbearable for living organisms to possibly live on in the future because dust storms have gotten so bad that dust particles enter the lungs and will eventually kill you. Cooper, Murphy, Cody, and their grandpa live on a farm away from the city. They are farmers but Cooper used to be a retired astronaut and was later on was invited back by NASA after Cooper and Murphy found their hidden base. NASA then gave Cooper a mission which Cooper accepted, Cooper was assigned with three scientists and a futuristic AI or robot in a futuristic spaceship. The mission was to go to another universe that has planets that are unknown, Cooper and the other three scientists mission is to go to those planets to retrieve the scientists that went there before them, and to find a suitable planet for humanity to live on after earth has become unlivable.

Two characters that stood out to me are Cooper and Murphy because they are a father and daughter duo and they both have the same interest in astronomy. Cooper is a father that is willing to give up anything for the sake of his children, he is willing to go to another universe just to secure a survival for his children, and he always teaches his children what to do for survival and to do the right thing. Cooper is also a smart man, he calculates everything before he does something, and he is also willing to sacrifice himself and be lost in space for the sake of his teammate, who wanted to see their partner on another planet. Murphy is also a smart character because she was able to figure out a problem that took years to solve from an expert and she was able to do that with the help of Cooper. Murphy with Cooper’s help, Murphy was able to help humanity moving out of earth and began living on Saturn, even when the former of NASA told Murphy that humanity was doomed.

After finishing the movie, I think science fiction movies are actually pretty interesting and pretty fun to watch. I like how there is another universe, time is different, there are three-dimensional beings, and how there are other planets with their own crazy natural disasters. I feel like I understand space more and it makes me wonder if there is really an black hole or something that gives you teleportation to another

I wrote this article to inform people who don't like watching science fiction, that Interstellar is a movie they'll like.