A Spoiler-Heavy Review of 'Oppenheimer' | Teen Ink

A Spoiler-Heavy Review of 'Oppenheimer'

By MrDomWilliams PLATINUM, Hartland, Wisconsin
MrDomWilliams PLATINUM, Hartland, Wisconsin

Oppenheimer is a biopic of Dr. J. Robert Oppenheimer, the scientist who helped create the atomic bomb during World War II. We see the triumphs and tragedies he faces in his life, including the famous Trinity Test (the detonation of the world’s first atomic bomb) and his infamous, rigged security hearing that stripped him of his clearance in 1954.

Boasting a star-studded cast including Cillian Murphy as the titular scientist, the film also includes Emily Blunt as Oppenheimer’s wife Katherine (whom Oppenheimer affectionately called “Kitty” in the film and real life), Matt Damon as Manhattan Project head Gen. Leslie Groves, Robert Downey Jr. as the villainous Atomic Energy Commission Chairman Lewis Strauss, and the legendary (yet unrecognizable) Gary Oldman in a cameo as President Harry Truman, to name a few.

Moving at a quick and nonlinear pace, echoing the style of some of director Christopher Nolan’s other works, I had to pay close attention to keep up, especially with the stunning plot twists that enhanced the film's intricate plot. You’ll need to know the history of the Manhattan Project and Dr. Oppenheimer well (I knew a decent chunk going in), since Nolan expects it.

There are a few stunning moments in the film that I think perfectly blend the score, cinematography, editing, and acting: the fan-favorite “Can You Hear the Music?” sequence (which I think perfectly captures the passion of learning and wonder), the aforementioned Trinity Test scene (which startled me when I first saw the film – the loud shockwave is delayed), Strauss’ rant during his 1959 Cabinet confirmation hearing (which was in black and white – I had no problem with it, though), the aforementioned security hearing, and the haunting ending. Filled with historical and scientific accuracy, Oppenheimer is the ideal film for a history buff (like myself) or science lover who can appreciate a well-crafted film.

Some of the shocking plot twists/revelations featured in the film include Strauss orchestrating Oppenheimer’s downfall via the security hearing, Dr. David Hill destroying any chance Strauss had of getting a spot in Eisenhower’s Cabinet by exposing that Strauss rigged the security panel, and Strauss’ vendetta against Oppenheimer – which sprouted out of the egotistical admiral falsely believing that Oppenheimer degraded his character to Albert Einstein in 1947. The final, most haunting plot twist of the film comes at the very end when we flash back to that very conversation the two scientists had, where Oppenheimer actually asked Einstein if he remembered the calculations he brought him in 1942 that declared the bomb would destroy the world. Einstein says yes, he remembers it, and asks why. As the screen is flooded with Oppenheimer envisioning nuclear war, he hauntingly replies with, “I believe we did.”