How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days Review | Teen Ink

How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days Review

By 5matson BRONZE, Sussex, Wisconsin
5matson BRONZE, Sussex, Wisconsin

When I heard the title How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days I thought that this was going to be another one of those cheesy romantic movies where  you already know they end up together in the end. While this is somewhat true, this movie has more to offer than just a cheesy story line. 

How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days directed by Donald Petrie and written by Michele Alexander and Jeannie Long begins with a struggling magazine writer wanting to branch off from her normal topics. She comes up with the idea of writing how to lose a guy in 10 days, and her editor loves it. 

Andie, the main character, and her friends go out in the city to find a victim for her article. While out she finds a man, Ben Barry, an advertising executive, who is confident that he could make any woman fall in love with him within 10 days. Ben makes a bet with his boss that if he can make Andie fall in love with him in 10 days he gets to be in charge of the advertising for a new diamond company. 

The casting in this movie is the perfect fit. Kate Hudson as the unbearable girlfriend and Matthew McConaughey as the dumb boyfriend. Their chemistry is presented to be truly authentic, even the viewers can feel the connection through a screen. 

This movie is the perfect chick flick, a mix of comedy and sappy relationship endings and beginnings. Andie does all sorts of things to make Ben want to break up with her.  Andie moves into Ben's apartment quickly into the relationship, acts overly possessive and sensitive at all times, ruins boys' poker night for him and his friends, and tricks him into going to a Celine Dion concert, but Ben stays with her to make her fall in love with him so he can win the bet. Although Andie does have weird yet funny moments, she also has her sappy ones too, like when she makes Ben go to “couples counseling” but it was really her friend acting as a therapist. 

Although this movie is a great comedy, it can be cringe at times. Andies dialogue and actions would make one squirm on their couch. The only thing I hated about this movie was that I didn’t watch it sooner!

I choose this movie because it is a iconic rom-com and is a great recommendation for people looking to watch new things.