Amélie | Teen Ink

Amélie MAG

By ClaraZornado GOLD, Danielson, Connecticut
ClaraZornado GOLD, Danielson, Connecticut

"Your life is your art." Keri Smith

Jean-Pierre Jeunet creates a magical world in “Amélie.” Audrey Tautou stars as the eccentric Amélie Poulain, who one day finds an old tin of keepsakes, returns it to its rightful place, and is inspired to do more good deeds. We follow Amélie on her journey to find the meaning of everything.

Such a vibrant, crisp script is rarely found in movies today. These actors are not just acting – they are the characters. They are pieces of the intricately designed, puzzle-like world Jeunet has created. The French dialogue is enchanting; every sentence is like an arpeggio from a flute.

Yann Tiersen supplies the mood with the music. Each scene is sprinkled with waves of melodies and sounds with origins ranging from the accordion to a typewriter. Don't get me wrong, the simple, clean piano ballads are beautiful, but there is something mystical about music from a typewriter.

Wonderfully imagined circumstances are what make this movie so unique. Traveling garden gnomes, créme brulée, suicidal goldfish, and raspberries all make an appearance. Each shot is more fascinating, more colorful, than the last. Every scene has a warm, “sleeping in your own bed for the first time in a week” feel to it.

“Amélie” is truly one of a kind. Jean-Pierre Jeunet has created something wonderful here, and I encourage you to

written for my Freshmen English class.

smiley_alley7 SILVER, Little Rock, Arkansas

The sole fact that your review exsists makes me happy.

I love this move so much.

This is a nice review.

KaylaKewlKat93 SILVER, Burlington, North Carolina

I give myself very good advice,
But I very seldom follow it,
That explains the trouble that I'm always in,
Be patient, is very good advice,
But the waiting makes me curious,
And I'd love the change,
Should something strange begin,
Well I went along my merry way,
And I never stopped to reason,
I should have know there'd be a price to pay,
Someday...someday,
I give myself very good advice,
But I very seldom follow it,
Will I ever learn to do the things I should?

Oh my gah, I loved that movie so much. Great review!