The Twilight Saga: New Moon | Teen Ink

The Twilight Saga: New Moon

December 6, 2009
By ASoulFullOfDreams SILVER, North Smithfield, Rhode Island
ASoulFullOfDreams SILVER, North Smithfield, Rhode Island
9 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Above all else, it is about leaving a mark that I existed: I was here. I was hungry. I was defeated. I was happy. I was sad. I was in love. I was afraid. I was hopeful. I had an idea and I had a good purpose and that's why I made works of art."
~Felix Gonzalez-Torre


Love At First Bite: The Twilight Saga: New Moon Delivers A Spectacular Adaption That Will Satisfy All Twi-hards

"The Twilight Saga: New Moon" - based on the second installment of the best-selling series "The Twilight Saga" by Stephenie Meyer; follows up the phenomenon that conquered the hearts of many all over the world: "Twilight" released in 2008. Since then the Twilight franchise has attracted an extreme body of admirers that could possibly overcome Harry Potter and The Lord of the Rings's fan base, which are both prior successful franchises of our time.

The film resumes the infatuated love of eighteen year old Bella Swan (Kristen Stewart) and the captivating Edward Cullen (Robert Pattinson), a vampire of over a hundred years; that have captured the hearts of millions, thrusting an audience of all ages to the sequel that introduces a new love interest, Jacob Black (Taylor Lautner) for Bella.

Born in the month of September, Bella's eighteenth birthday in which she pleads to be lacked any celebration, results her attending a surprise birthday party hosted by Edward's spirited adoptive sister Alice (Ashley Greene). Persuaded to accept her gifts, as she clarified that she did not want any, the Cullens with open arms welcome her warmly as she opens her presents when a simple paper cut awakens Jasper's (Jackson Rathbone) unbearable thirst. Blood gradually spills out Bella's pale flesh and held back by Dr. Carlisle Cullen (Peter Facinelli) and Emmett (Kellan Lutz), Jasper is in a raging aggression to feed.

It was the suspension of this moment that Edward comes to the realization that in order to protect his beloved he must neglect her from himself as he states "You just don't belong in my world Bella". The emotions that fabricate in this scene is heartbreaking and sorrowful, as Bella and Edward unbearably separate for the first time in their relationship. The absence of her true love, depresses her and she becomes incapable of dealing with the pain of her loss. It is not until a childhood friend whom she bonded with in her youth while visiting her father Charlie (Billy Burke) in Forks, Washington, enters himself into her life, in which she now considers meaningless. Jacob Black (Taylor Lautner) who develops a strong passion for Bella comforts her in her darkest time of despair while her behavior develops a strong passion for adrenaline as she claims that in the rush of a moment she can see Edward in a vague glimpse of her imagination. Bella and Jacob grow closer, while she becomes distant from any wanting of safety or common sense. Bella embeds herself in serious danger such as cliff diving, motorcycle driving, and riding with strangers in hopes that Edward would come to save her; but he never does.

The film introduces new faces of encounters that cultivate conflicts in the story; such as the Volturi, vampires of royalty that conquer and demand the laws of a vampire's actions. It is these evil individuals that Edward is willing to cooperate with in order to arrange the death of his existence, because of his adoptive sister Rosalie (Nikki Reed) false report of
that Bella is dead. In time, Jacob distances himself as he discovers of what he is; a werewolf in which he is devoted to be as he joins with a wolf pack that oppose vampires. Jacob is now pressured to take part in the hunt of vampires, if a vampire decides to break a treaty of their tribe.

Chris Weitz, replacement of prior Twilight Saga director Catherine Hardwicke, fuses a new visual of the popular phenomenon. Weitz offers a spectacular adaptation to the novel, as dialogue from the book can easily be recognized, as well as the sequences that were forged on to the screen were well-written and thought out. Despite the plot's mournful series of grave depression referring to the temporarily loss of a forbidden love, the film's sigh of relief could possible be considered as Bella's friend Michael (Michael Welch) and insulting jokes shared between Jacob and Alice at their first acquaintance.

After the completion of "Twilight", fans were devastated when they discovered of a possible replacement for 17 year old Taylor Lautner.Lautner was informed that he would be fired if he did not develop a muscular build that his character was described having during his transformation from human to wolf. Physically and mentally, Lautner's affecting portrayal of Jacob has improved from the previous installment; as well as all of the actors who have had an obvious dramatic improvement on their acting, and also preparation and familiarity of their characters. Stewart and Pattinson's chemistry is strengthened with more visible affection and intensity that is projected on screen, that modifies the truth and complications of Bella and Edward's love for one another. Unlike the first film, their chemistry seems to be more believable even if Pattinson's character is not present in the entire film.

The score and soundtrack of "New Moon" are both extremely impressive and serve a great deal of perfection for the film and the pleasure of indie rock. Alexandre Desplat composes an orchestra that consists of instrumental suspension and chilling melodies during the scenes of action and rage, as well as sweet ballads that accompany sensual moments shared between Bella and Edward. Though it is the choice of songs featured on the soundtrack that earns my highest attraction to, as Weitz and music director Alex Patsavas, hand-picked artists such as Death Cab for Cutie, Lykke Li, Anya Marina, The Killers, Band of Skulls, and a majority of many other talented artists. Muse, the band that Stephenie Meyer claims as her source of inspiration for the franchise, returns with a remix of their song "I Belong to You" as they were also featured on the Twilight soundtrack. The collection of all the songs were specifically written and dedicated to the film, as most of the lyrics refer to certain scenes and plot lines of the story.

Filmed in Vancouver, Canada the movie successfully recaptures the drizzly cloudburst of Forks, Washington, in which Portland, Oregon was disguised as in "Twilight". Due to the increase of the budget because of the success of "Twilight", "New Moon" transmits all the possible action from book to screen, fulfilling polished sequences of violence and excitement from the minor battle between Edward and the Volturi to the transformation of the humans to wolves. The cameras and actors traveled to Italy as well, where the audience encounters the Volturi.

In comparison of the first installment of the Twilight saga, "New Moon" is shot in a stimulating gold tint, redefining the color of the movie with an instant converting vibe of the film from "Twilight". An appealing wardrobe of the cast is appropriately worn, vibrantly expressing the characters through their choice of clothing. All of the actors deserve a round of applause because of their faithful adaption to their characters. Chris Weitz accomplishes to direct a film that concentrates mainly on the beauty, heartbreak, and depression of a forbidden love shared between two individuals, that despite their drastic differences, are truly in love. "Twilight" did not meet the standards of transferring the contents of the book onto the screen as does "New Moon", which is outstandingly created and perfected. Those who have read the book could agree that the movie was almost identical to the book.