To Save A Life | Teen Ink

To Save A Life

April 24, 2010
By jeezkay GOLD, Orlando, Florida
jeezkay GOLD, Orlando, Florida
15 articles 66 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
If it's meant to be, it'll happen.


Let me start this response off by saying I was extremely skeptical of this film at first. Some people stereotype most Christian films to be horribly made, and I jumped on that bandwagon years ago. Whether it is the low budget, the horrible acting, the unrealistic plot…I get turned off by such movies because it is nowhere close to being realistic. And how can a nonbeliever try to relate when you have Christian movies showing your life is instantly changed and perfect just by accepting Jesus into your heart? Nonbelievers would be skeptical and disappointed once they find out your life is not perfect once they have asked Christ into their life.
To Save A Life was NOT one of those films. It showed the true modern day high school experience with actors portraying the daily lives of true teenagers. The movie followed the lives of teens who experimented with drugs, sex, alcohol and cutting. It focuses on the star basketball player, Jake, who seems to be having the time of his life. He’s gotten accepted to his dream college, his girlfriend is the most popular girl in school, and it seems he has the best friends anyone could ask for.
But that “great” life of his is changed once his good friend whom he grew up with commits suicide in front of the whole school. He instantly has regrets. He regrets choosing his girlfriend over the friend, and he regrets not being there for him when he needed Jake the most. He blames himself for his friend’s suicide. But when He begins to go to church, he realizes just how fake everyone is; he sees the youth group is living a double life.
Somewhere down the road, He starts to believe in God and forms faith. He even creates a website to help those who have contemplated suicide or for whoever has felt alone. He deals with the terribly two-faced pastor’s son and goes to the youth pastor for counseling. The movie shows how his life did not suddenly become perfect even after he finds God. He still has to deal with issues including his parent’s divorce and his girlfriend’s pregnancy.
I would recommend this movie to anyone Christian or non-Christian. It was extremely depressing at times, but that’s just it. The movie was REAL. It showed the way the Lord works in our lives step by step. One thing I definitely got out of this movie is that we need to stop to listen to God’s plans for our life. His plan’s may be different than our own, and that’s okay because He’s got it under control.

The author's comments:
I wrote this paper for extra credit in my Bible class, to be honest. The movie has been out since late January, but I wanted to post a review to encourage people to see it.