Avatar | Teen Ink

Avatar

July 2, 2010
By shakesbeer GOLD, Middletown, Connecticut
shakesbeer GOLD, Middletown, Connecticut
14 articles 0 photos 20 comments

Favorite Quote:
i rather die on my feet than live on my knees


Avatar, one of the most highly anticipated movies ever, a ten year plus wait all for Pocahontas meets fancy video game graphics and CGI. The similarities to the controversial Disney classic were unseemly. In Pocahontas, “based” of the historical happenings of a native American princess who “falls in love” with a honest white settler peacefully looking for gold and sail off to England, though the real history would call this novelty romance by another name try rape and kidnaping. In avatar, more of the same, humans come looking for a valuable mineral on this moon Pandora and encounter natives who they regard as savages because of their appearance. The movie had some entertaining action scenes but they were no better than the fighting scenes than those that can be found in low graded movies like a Ninja Assassin or a Street Fighter: legend of Chun-Li. Other than that you could almost tell what lines and scenes were coming next I felt almost like a prophet watching the film. people were blown away by the “stunning” graphics but anyone who owns a Xbox 360 or PS3 have been accustomed to the same graphics for about five years now. So I really could not blame the Oscars for riding the wave, but then I came to my senses. Besides the weak and unoriginal storyline Avatar’s darkest moment was the sex scene. Lets recap here for a second, nine foot tall alien, with a tentacle, large yellow cat eyes, blue skin with tiger stripes, is not attractive. I did not understand the why there was not more outrage over this scene to me it was weird that a human regardless if in a Avatar or not would find an alien race as a viable spouse. In short avatar deserved a pat on the back. I judge a movie based on things like plot, storyline, theme, composure, Avatar is a 2.5 out of 5 a good movie would be Shutter Island, Unthinkable, and a classic would be Wizard of Oz which is one of the most misunderstood movies of all time it was actually a reflection of the social-economic condition of that time, but that’s another story.