Se7en | Teen Ink

Se7en MAG

Director David Fincher brings a whole new meaning to the word thriller in “Se7en.” The film centers around detectives David Mills (Brad Pitt), a cocky cop who is new to the detective beat, and William Somerset (Morgan Freeman), a well-known and respected man on the force.

In his last week before retirement, Somerset is assigned, with Mills, to a case involving a series of brutal and sadistic murders. The killer uses each of the seven deadly sins – gluttony, sloth, greed, lust, envy, wrath, and pride – as his motives for killing his victims.

Despite the entire movie being about murders, there's hardly any blood. Or do we see the killer act. Instead, we view the aftermath, and despite what you might think, it is actually scarier than watching the victims die. Fincher creates a creepy mood throughout. However, the movie does have some lighter scenes where we learn more about the main characters and how they got where they are.

As Detective Somerset, Freeman delivers yet another powerful performance. There is not a single moment when he under or over reacts. Somerset tries to remain calm and collected as he attempts to solve the case, but as time passes, he realizes that he and his partner are getting nowhere, and we start to see him losing his cool.

Although this may not be Pitt's best performance, he does make Detective Mills enjoyable to watch. There are moments when you will burst out laughing at what he says or does. He interrupts the grimness of the film, which makes him a welcome addition.

Mill's wife, Tracy, is played by Gwyneth Paltrow. If I had to describe her performance in one word, it would be solid. She plays her role with passion and maturity. Even though she isn't in the movie much, her role is central to the story.

Every character either runs into or has some sort of connection with the killer, played by Kevin Spacey. Trust me, knowing this will not spoil the film. He portrays his character with little emotion, which makes him seem truly evil.

Andrew Walker's writing is the best I have seen in a long time. It is true to each of the characters and makes you understand what drives them. Plus, he creates dialogue that gets better as the film progresses, especially between Freeman and Pitt, who have an intense relationship and play off each other very well. They may not be the best of friends, but they both have one goal: to catch the killer.

Despite this, “Se7en” is not a cat and mouse film. It revolves around the actions of the characters and the consequences. This creates a thrilling and suspenseful experience.

“Se7en” is one film you have to see. It is exciting, suspenseful, fun, and above all, smart. This film deserves five out of five stars.

This movie is rated R.

This was an English assignment.