Scott Pilgrim VS. the World Movie Review | Teen Ink

Scott Pilgrim VS. the World Movie Review

This ridiculously funny, bland, bizarre, video-game-themed movie is about a 22 year old jobless bassist, Scott Pilgrim (Michael Cera), who meets the cliche punk-gothic girl, Ramona Flowers (Mary Elizabeth Winstead), and instantaneously decides that she is ‘the one’. Due to this movie’s poor plot, my first action would be to not recommend for anyone to see it, but because of its hysterically hilarious one-liners, I will recommend for everyone with an ...interesting sense of humor to see it.

Scott Pilgrim has quite a challenge in this movie. To actually get to date this Ramona, he has to first battle and ultimately defeat all seven of her ‘evil’ exes. Although each ex is even more distinctive from the last (ranging from a pugnacious blonde girl to an extremely strong guy with vegan powers) each battle gets increasingly more yawn inducing than the last. As interesting as the first battle might have been, the rest seemed to drag on, leaving you bored and uninterested. All, except for the last.

Although dull at times, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World is definitely a movie worth seeing. Every so often, a strikingly notable hilariously witty line would arise, and I would find myself on the floor, abs aching, with an exceptionally voluminous amount of immense laughter. *Note: Movie best seen with friends.* Makes for great conversation and jokes later in life. The clever transitions from scene to scene and witty one-liners slyly placed in unexpected places will really make you appreciate this movie. All in all, it was quite well done.

The actors/actresses chosen for the movie were perfect, and their portrayals were stupendous, but they could do little for the ending. If you could even call it that. The ending was abrupt, and will most likely leave you quite confused. I will not give anything away, so I do suggest you go see this movie for yourself. As long as you know the ending will disappoint. But if you have any sense of humor at all, you will most likely find it as amusing as I did.

Yes, it may seem as though I have been contradicting myself throughout this entire review, but what I am saying is all true. You will yawn at times, be on the edge of your seat at others, and sometimes you will be on the floor, laughing so hard, you are in pain. And because of these reasons, my final piece of advice is to go see this movie.