Ratatouille | Teen Ink

Ratatouille

"Don't let anyone define your limits because of who you're & where you come from". This theme was expressed greatly in Ratatouille, coming in many shapes & sizes, such as Remy & Linguini. Remy's road to becoming a chef was littered with scorn, ridicule, and disgust, but he overcame the treacherous odds & rising stress with steadfast determination & perseverance. He would not tolerate anyone putting him down or shunning him because of his size & stature. The stron-willed rat overcame his final obstacle when proving his talent to his family & slicing the ancient bonds that tethered rats to the dirt, revealing a new world for them, a world of infinite opportunity. This film showed evidence of the theme in many ways & examples, some hidden but most open. Remy's practical father constantly tried to limit Remy's world to the humble, simple life of a common rat. Remy did the opposite, rebelling openly & slipping away to experiment & discover. This dangerous path lead him to Linquinie, a brave & determined teenager who was struggling to earn a place in Gusteau. Even after being rejected & ridiculed, sneered & laughed at, the steadfast young man steered his own course & future. His undeterred determination & perseverance eventually paid off, leaving him as Head Chef of Gusteau. Partnering with him was Collete, a fiercely devoted cook who had risen to the rank of best chef by pure will & determination. As a woman, she was shunned & laughed at until the close-minded chefs around her accepted her skill & potential, welcoming her into their ranks. The motley mix of Remy, Linguini, & Collete transformed Ratatouille into a powerful movie overfilling with this theme, and is a fine example of courage, bravery & undeterred determination. Of the many main ideas & themes this moving film had, I chose this theme for a particular reason. My reason was simply because it relates to anyone, anything, anywhere. For example, if Martin Luther King Jr. let his friends & family set his life, millions of African Americans would have scarcely a privilege, and racial ethnicity would crumble. Almost everyone has had another person bend their infuluence on them sometime, & if we meekly agreed we would have been no better then a pet, only there for another to harvest their thoughts & interests on. Even the most foolish tyrant could easily bend us to their will, leaving us close-minded & insecure. It was rebellions, fights that paved a highway to an open-minded, educated world that is willing to experiment & discover. Ratatouille exemplified this bases in many shapes and sizes, but all lead to one concrete idea: "Do not let anyone define your limits because of who you are and where you come from"

Karen said...
This is one of my favorite movies and the analysis given was spot on. What a wonderful message expressed and so poignantly. Great job and I look forward to reading other articles by Eliot