Cloverfield | Teen Ink

Cloverfield

March 12, 2008
By Anonymous

Where to begin? “Cloverfield” is a movie where most will either hate it or love it. When I was walking into the movie theater, seeing the theater half filled wasn’t exactly a reassuring feeling. Regardless, I just stuck with it. The entire movie was filmed on a hand-held video camera, very similar to the “Blair Witch Project.” Knowing that, the entire movie is a lot of shifting around and dizziness. The dizziness is not as bad as you would think; however, that is definitely a major negative to the movie.
The movie generally bases its logic off of assumption. In the movie there was this “monster” creature from the ocean, hence its gills, clover-like feet, and tail. At first, the monster is assumed to have been erupted by an oil tanker near the New York harbor. The boat was drilling for oil which was implied that it disrupted the “monster” from appearing, since the oil boat was the first to be destroyed. While the military did have many bombs and technological weapons to try to kill the monster, considering its massive size, it is assumed that the “monster” is a monster known as a deep-sea giant, from the study of deep-sea gigantism. The military had a very hard time trying to kill the monster, with many different types of bombs; some believe that because of its extreme depths where it once dwelt, the creatures hide is extremely tough considering the fact of how deep the pressure it must have lived in prior.
In “Cloverfield,” there were no famous actors introduced, in fact, they were all unknown actors playing the roles of people in Manhattan. However, you are watching mainly three characters through the duration of the movie.

Being the film is not rated R, the movie doesn’t show much blood and gore. The U.S. Military tries to evacuate Manhattan, but where they successful? You will have to rent it on DVD to find out.

Overall, I would give the movie three out of five stars because this movie did exactly what it was supposed to do, portray how the normal person in Manhattan would have handled this situation having no importance to the story at all, where as in most movies you know what is going on. But at the same time, there are still many questions to be answered.

This movie is rated PG-13.