Gracie | Teen Ink

Gracie

Gracie's choice is one of the best movies I've ever seen. Gracie is a girl in high school who has one sister and three brothers. She also has a mother who is a druggie and never seems to stay in one place. They barely get what they need to survive. She is basically taking care of her family. They often have to stay at their grandmothers, who is not happy with what is happening all the time. She helps them anyway because she loves them too much. One day her mother is caught by police and Gracie and her family is separated. It's only for a few days, but its enough for Gracie to decide to change how they've been living.

Her grandma gets her family back together until her mom can get out of jail. Gracie is not waiting. She is trying to get a better life and does everything she can to make it better than it ever has been for them. So Gracie gets a job and tries to make life better for all of them. Her sister leaves because she says she fell in love with someone and got pregnant so it's just Gracie and her brothers. Even though she is saddened by her sister leaving she still tries to take legal custody of her family and become their legal guardian. She is doing well and has everything good going for her.

Then her mom shows up again and things get more complicated. Her mother doesn't want her taking her own children and it's hard on all of them to have to choose. Now she has more on her shoulders than ever. She has to juggle fighting wither her mom for legal custody while going to school having a job and trying to have a little romance in her life. Its tough, but she eventually prevails.

The best thing about this movie is that it is based off a true story. Last I heard she was in college and doing very well. And all her brothers are doing well also. But don't let me explain it all away. You really have to see it to know how wonderful and great this movie is.