The Life of Pi | Teen Ink

The Life of Pi MAG

By WaffleOcean2934 PLATINUM, Rogers, Minnesota
WaffleOcean2934 PLATINUM, Rogers, Minnesota

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams-Eleanor Roosevelt

Life of Pi had previously been called an unfilmable book. But critics are raving about this movie's stunning special effects. The trailer states that this film can make you believe in God. But are special effects all the movie has going for it? And, can a movie really move you so deeply that it makes you believe in God?

The story follows Pi, an Indian adolescent who is moving to Canada with his family. But after a tragic ship accident, Pi is forced, alone, onto a lifeboat that holds four animals, including a tiger. Thus begins a journey that will test Pi's faith as he tries to survive.

David Magee's screenplay was always on track with what needed to be said. It did a good job portraying Pi's internal conflict and showing rather than telling, which made me more emotionally connected. I think, though, that the third section could have been better. It seemed structurally disorganized and hard to believe.

The protagonist, Pi, is portrayed by Suraj Sharma in his acting debut. I think he does a great job. Never once did I think he was out of character or portrayed Pi incorrectly.

The movie is directed by Ang Lee. I was left stunned and breathless after some scenes, because I was amazed at how he created such a breathtaking visual experience. The special effects are amazing and unique – something that I have never seen before.

The story explores different religions – Hindu, Christianity, and Islam. But did it move me to believe in a higher power? Probably not. But it did leave me with hope that anything is possible, and that, I think, is an amazing feeling to take away from a movie.

I would definitely recommend “The Life of Pi.” People will be amazed by the special effects, but, most importantly, they'll enjoy this heartfelt and inspiring story of survival and hope.