Men in Black III | Teen Ink

Men in Black III

December 3, 2012
By amynotamelia57 BRONZE, King George, Virginia
amynotamelia57 BRONZE, King George, Virginia
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Men in Black III, first released on May 25, 2012, is directed by Barry Sonnenfeld with Steven Spielburg as executive producer. An old-timer to the alien-handling department Men in Black, Agent K (Tommy Lee Jones) has a long history with some of the bad aliens in the galaxy, particularly the last of the alien Boglodite species, Boris the Animal (Jemaine Clement). When Boris escapes from the lunar prison that Agent K put him in, he seeks his revenge on K for imprisoning him and also causing him to lose his arm. Agent K’s partner, Agent J (Will Smith), is frustrated with K when he will not tell him why he is overly upset when Boris escapes. J learns that there are secrets that “the universe doesn’t know about,” choking his trust and friendship with K. After realizing that Boris the Animal has time jumped and gone back in time to the year 1969 to kill Agent K and save his arm, J travels back in time to 1969. There, Agent J meets the young, twenty-nine year old Agent K (Josh Brolin). Agent J attempts to save K, terminate Boris, and save the whole world from Boris’ wrath – all in a day’s work. Through a series of twists and turns, Men in Black III will surely awe you with its unexpected and humbling end.

The suave and charismatic Will Smith did not cease to amaze viewers with his wit, and he has still been able to revive his character, Agent J, even after fifteen years since the first Men in Black movie was released. Tommy Lee Jones has also stepped up his game in this sequel, displaying Agent K’s deep feelings perfectly while still maintaining his stoic personality. Smith and Jones’s characters simply fit together like puzzle pieces, completing each other to a T. When I first found out that there would be a younger version of Agent K (and Tommy Lee Jones obviously wouldn’t be playing him), I doubted that any actor, no matter how great, could pull off a task so impossible. However, Josh Brolin blew my mind with his mastery of the character. Everything about Brolin’s performance: his speech, movements, personality, and even his looks, screamed of the perfection of a young Agent K. I was astonished at Brolin’s skill for acting; he certainly did justice to the film, and I wouldn’t change a thing.

With its stunning plot and hilarious side humor, Men in Black III is the kind of movie that makes you want to just get up and inspire others the way the movie has inspired you. Director Barry Sonnenfeld has whipped up a real masterpiece that should be shared with the world. Even if you have not seen the first or second movies of this series, you should have no trouble understanding the plot. The special effects and costumes are skillfully blended into the film, and the speech and tone of each character, in a way, allows you to peer into their soul and directly see their personality, past trends, and role throughout the entire movie. Men in Black III induces a kind of coma from the second it starts to the second it ends, painting your half-sleeping mind with its intense action and deep personal message. I recommend watching the movie at night; this creates the ideal atmosphere and helps you to absorb and ponder over the inspirational message and what it means to you. You will, without a doubt, want to see it again, and I believe it will always amaze viewers for years to come. The production of Men in Black III is quite an accomplishment that everyone deserves to be witness to. So, what are you waiting for? Go out, see Men in Black III, and proclaim to the world what an inspiring and incredible movie it truly is.