P.S. I Love You | Teen Ink

P.S. I Love You MAG

January 18, 2013
By TheKelseyMorris SILVER, Raleigh, North Carolina
TheKelseyMorris SILVER, Raleigh, North Carolina
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Do you enjoy sappy love stories that make your heart ache? If so, I have a movie for you. “P.S. I Love You” is the best love story I've seen on screen, with a cast of gold. Hilary Swank and Gerard Butler share such an incredible on-screen romance, that it could make you fall in love with the stranger sitting next to you. Director Richard LaGravenese did an outstanding job capturing all of the emotions Holly (Hilary Swank) experiences. But the real thanks belongs to Irish novelist Cecelia Ahern for writing this touching story.

“Every morning I still wake up and the first thing I want to do is see your face.” This is the kind of thing every man is supposed to say to the woman he loves. A quote like this shows what a sweet and good husband Gerry (Gerard Butler) was to his wife, Holly. Butler's previous work includes “300,” for which he won an MTV movie award for best fight. In “P.S. I Love You,” we see his sensitive side.

My expectations for this movie weren't high, but when I saw it, it definitely blew me away. Let's just say there were no tissues left in my house when it was over.

The story of Holly and Gerry begins like many love stories, then out of nowhere, Gerry dies of cancer and Holly's life is turned upside down. Gerry leaves Holly ten letters that ­arrive periodically during the first year after his death, so he could be with her from beyond the grave.

Through the letters Gerry sends Holly on different adventures, and gives her advice and support. He sends her on a trip to Ireland with her two best friends, where she meets Gerry's best friend at an Irish pub. William plays an important role in her trip. When she returns from Ireland, she gets her life together and finally starts getting back on track. Although it's good that she finally started to heal and move on, it broke my heart when she realized she could no longer feel Gerry's spirit with her, that he was really gone.

This movie is the epitome of a real-life love story. It has humor, drama, and, most of all, romance. Though it's a tear-buster, there are a few moments that will make you chuckle. I found it inspirational since it shows what it's really like to be in mourning.

“P.S. I Love You” is a total chick-flick. If you have a man in your life and want him to treat you as Gerry treated Holly, make him watch this. Even if you don't have anyone and just need a good cry, this is the perfect movie. Either way, I guarantee you will finish this movie without dry eyes.